Chapter 27.1

“I trust you enjoyed your extra day of rest,” Marsh said to Tiel.

“All too short of course, but alas, the dirt and filth calls. I can hear them even now. ‘Tiel where are you? We have missed you.’”

“Tiel,” Marsh said seriously, “I need not remind you of the importance of this journey. I will have this artifact.”

Tiel nodded. He knew this already. He was only ever used on the things of the utmost importance.

“There is one small other thing,” Marsh added, “I’ve heard rumours of a young fire affine in the village of Milo. There is nothing conclusive to suggest her power is above that of a regular affine, but as it is on your way, I would welcome your opinion on the situation.”

Tiel bowed. “I will take a look.”

The four Seekers left on horseback at sunrise with little or no fuss. They just headed out the south gate and rode down the track in the direction of Milo. Celie, in particular, said nothing all morning. The events of the two nights ago, still fresh in her mind.

So it was a fairly somber group that rode out that morning. And of course, it started raining almost immediately. Tiel was only about an hour out of the city, when the dampness started to seep through his clothes and the chafing began.

Later in the day, it was a wet and depressed Tiel that rode into Milo. He had kept the purpose of visiting this suburb to himself. In fact, he had yet to tell the other Seekers about the Staff and the Temple either. All in good time, he thought, there was business to do here first.

The outlying village was the typical cluster of houses or farmsteads gathered together around the meeting of two major roads. In this case, where the Main easterly track they currently followed met the Dressic road. Tiel headed to the centre of the village and the Broken Wheel Inn. Even the name of the tavern seemed to fit with his mood. It was late afternoon and it wouldn’t be long until most of the inhabitants returned home from work.

The innkeeper seemed genuinely ambivalent to see four well dressed travellers arrive at his Inn. Tiel would have expected a small change, at least, in the Innkeeper’s mood on their arrival. The man acted as if no-one had entered his inn at all. Usually, innkeepers reacted with joy at seeing four clearly wealthy four patrons arrive, assuming they didn’t know who it was that had just graced their establishment.

This innkeeper was Terron but a small skinny one, who seemed about as friendly as a bear with a bad case of something unpleasant. It was a wonder anyone would want to stay here, Tiel thought.

The attitude of the keeper seemed to rub off on the smattering of locals already back from work, or more likely, the ones that had never bothered to go to work in the first place.

The innkeeper addressed Tiel, who he had guessed was the leader of this strange foursome. “Rooms are three coins a night. Don’t expect them to be clean.”

“Thank you for that warm welcome,” Tiel replied, “And as enticing as the rooms sound, we shan’t be staying the night.”

Given what Tiel had in mind it was definitely better they didn’t stay in this place long at all.

“But there are two things I would ask of you,” Tiel continued, “The first and by far the most important is a good meal for me and my friends. I trust you have some food prepared.”

The innkeeper grunted in reply.

Tiel took that for a yes. The man however didn’t move and continued looking at Tiel. Tiel tried to ignore him, but eventually turned and went, “What?”

“The second thing,” the innkeeper said.

“Oh,” said Tiel. “Later, later. Food first,” And waved away the disconcerting little man.

The meal arrived and to Tiel and everyone’s surprise it tasted quite good. Clearly the chef was cut from a different cloth to his employer.

As they sat there, waiting for the bowls to be cleared away, Tiel turned to Celie and said, “Why do you think we have stopped here?”

Celie just shrugged. “What do I care? I just go where I’m told.”

“Ahhh, Celie,” came Tiel’s reply, “Please don’t sulk for too long. It doesn’t become you. What happened the other night was just a necessary demonstration. It was nothing personal, so please try to move on. You never know, we might even become friends.”

“I could never be friends with the likes of you.”

“Alona used to say the same thing and look at us now, best buddies.” Tiel smiled a big grin at Alona, who just rolled her eyes.

“So, Celie, please try again. Why do you think we are here?”

Celie shrugged again and this time offered no response.

“Alona, why do you think?” Tiel said after a brief period of silence.

“I would say we have stopped because you intend to murder one of the inhabitants.”

“Hmmmmm. Nearly right.” Tiel said, “But, your answer lacks context, so let me elaborate for the benefit of Celie. Celie, we are here because I have heard a rumour that someone in this village is a powerful fire affine and may be carrying the fire spark. We are here to ascertain the truth of this rumour.”

Tiel then added in a serious tone, “Be warned. Spark or not, fire affines can be extremely dangerous. Make sure you are on your guard from this point on. I do not wish to tell my father you have died already.”

When the innkeeper returned to clear the bowls away his attitude had changed noticeably. He was quite clearly scared now, his previous apathy all gone.

Tiel of course picked up on this and said, “My good man, am I to understand that you have become aware of who it is that is sitting in your inn this day.”

The man nodded.

“So I will get to my second point,” Tiel said, “We are looking for a young fire affine. We have heard rumours that she is in this village and as the village innkeeper you will of course know where she is.”

“You are mistaken. We are just simple village folk. No affines here.” The innkeeper said.

Tiel had to admire the man to some extent, despite his obvious fear he tried to do the right thing and protect his villagers. Perhaps he was a better man than Tiel had given him credit for. Oh well, he thought, it was all irrelevant.

Tiel gave a tiny signal to Bolo who took hold of the Innkeepers wrist, and then moved this huge mit around the innkeepers hand. As Bolo gently squeezed the innkeeper's eyes widened in shock. Most people reacted this way to the sheer strength of Bolo.

Tiel continued, “Now, I admire your initial effort at bravery to protect your villagers, but my admiration for your courage will change very quickly to contempt for your stupidity, should you repeat the same answer again when next it is asked.”

To emphasise the point Bolo squeezed a little more and there was a slight crunching sound as the finger bones ground against each other.

“Ooooh,” Tiel said at the sound of the noise, “I suspect having working fingers is quite important for a man like you. So if you wish to keep them so. Where is the fire affine?”

The veins stood out on the keepers sweating head as he gasped at Bolo’s continued pressure.

“OK, OK, OK,” the keeper said. “The small house, third on the left, heading west.”

“Thank you,” said Tiel. “My respect for you remains intact.”

With that he stood up and headed for the door, the three others following on behind.