Chapter 29.2

Later that night once the food had been eaten and the four Seekers had settled down next to the fire, Alona moved over and sat next to Tiel, “Can I ask you something?” she said.

Tiel figited a little before nodding his assent.

“Do you ever think there could be another way?”

“Another way?” Tiel responded looking a bit confused.

“Another way, to all this killing,” Alona clarified. “Your father wants the affinity sparks, that I understand. But what if we didn’t have to kill the carrier. What if we got an oath of loyalty instead. An oath to follow you.”

Tiel literally laughed out loud. When he had eventually stopped laughing, he said, “If you had only said an oath, would you have done all the things you were asked in the last fifteen years?"

Tiel left the question hanging there for a few seconds before answering for her. “No of course not,” he said, “You only do all the killing for fear of what will happen if you do not. Fear, Alona. Fear alone makes you do my bidding and for that fear to be properly cultivated, your spark needs to be bound to my father or more precisely the homing device. That is what destroys your hope. Hope can be used to keep fear at bay. But when hope is gone, fear takes hold easily. Knowledge that your spark will be returned to the homing device should you betray me, makes any attempt at betrayal worthless.”

Tiel clicked his fingers and said, “That is what makes you feel powerless. That is what makes you fear me. That is what binds you to me. Without the homing device, my hold over you would be nothing.”

Tiel looked at her. “So in answer to your question. There can be no other way. My father will have the enduro spark bound to the homing device and that means killing the boy.”

Tiel smirked at her, “I assume that is what this little chat is all about.”

Alona ground her teeth against each other in frustration, “Sometimes, I hate you more than anything. I wonder if I shouldn’t just kill you and to hell with the consequences.” So much for appealing to his conscience.

Tiel narrowed his eyes and looked at her. “Careful Alona, if I thought for a moment you would actually try, I would strike you down in an instant.” Tiel’s face then softened a little as he added, “But when it comes time to kill the boy. I fully understand he is from your community and I will not involve you directly. That I can promise.”

And that there was Tiel in a nutshell. Just when Alona began to think there was no hope for the man. That he was beyond redemption, he would do or say something that suggested all was not lost. It was a tiny crumb of comfort, Alona knew that, but she had nothing else, so she grabbed it.

She leaned closer to him and whispered, “I know you Tiel. You are definitely not the monster you want us to think you are. In fact, I think the killing pains you a lot more than you let on. I know you have a heart Tiel and I will prove it. And I will show you there is another way.”

Tiel’s half sneer returned to his face. “Good luck with that Alona.”

Alona smiled, despite his contempt. She then did something she never thought she would have the courage to do. She laid her hand on Tiel’s chest above his heart.

Tiel flinched, but didn’t react.

Alona leaned in even closer and whispered in his ear. “Something is beating under my hand. I will show the world what it is.”

With that she turned and walked away into the trees. She was shaking, knowing how close she had just come to death, but she also knew from the feelings that coursed through her body that what she had done was right. That, this was what she must do. And Wren was the key to helping her.