Chapter 32.1

When Wren arrived back at the Barbarian camp, the Chief’s son was in bed with a high fever. He didn’t quite look as bad as he did when Wren first saw him but he was still in pretty bad shape. So, Wren wasted no time healing the boy and then arranging for a pot of tea to be brewed using the moss he had found.

Having examined the herb more closely on his journey home, he was sure it was the shell moss the boy needed. It may take a couple of days and a few doses, but if Wren’s previous experience was anything to go by, it would cure the disease.

The Chief and his son both immediately asked Wren about Neels, but Wren said nothing and just shook his head. They both understood the gesture and didn't push any further, as was the Barbarian way, despite their misgivings.

Wren spent the next three days, practicing the spear and checking up on the son. The remedy was working and Wren could feel the boy’s health improving. In fact, the last time he healed the boy, he’d sensed there was actually nothing to heal, other than the usual tiredness, aches and pains that affect everyone, and was confident that the swamp fever had been purged from the boy's body.

It was late evening when Wren approached the fire to give the Chief the good news.

The Chief embraced Wren in a big hug. “Thank you. Outsider,” the Chief said. “Will you take a break from your spear practice and join us?” gesturing to the fire.

It was then that Wren noticed there was an unusually large gathering of Barbarians around the fire this night. It would not be an understatement to say that pretty much the whole camp, other than the guards, were there. As Wren sat down he noticed Quizi was also there and all eyes were on him.

“Outsider,” the chief said in a powerful voice. He stood now holding Hawkwing in his hand and looked truly imposing. “Outsider. You have shown your courage twice. First you fought bravely alongside Lind.”

A loud shout of “Huh,” rose from the crowd and Wren could see Lind beating his chest firmly with his fist.

“Second, you risked your life to save my son.”

“Huh,” another large shout rose from the crowd as a young boy stood up and started beating his chest.

Wren wasn’t sure quite what was happening but from the smile on Quizi’s face he guessed it wasn’t bad.

“Outsider.” The chief boomed, “that is the last time I will call you by that name.” The chief held out an ogre tusk on a leather cord. “This is a tusk taken from the ogre you killed,” the Chief continued, “When you put this on, we will call you brother.”

Wren looked around at the silent Barbarians all looking at him. As confidently as he could Wren looked the chief in the eye and said, “It would be an honour to call you brother.”

With that Wren took the tusk and placed it around his neck. A huge cheer erupted around the camp. Wren wasn’t really sure what he was doing now but he felt it was the right time, so he raised his spear, above his head in a signal for quiet. He then slammed the metal butt hard into the ground and turned to the chief.

“Great Chief, I come to you as a brother with a story that needs telling. Will you hear my story?”

“Will you hear brother Wren?” The chief shouted.

“Aye.” Came the shouted reply.

Wren wasn’t much of a storyteller and certainly wasn’t going to try and match Lind’s from a few weeks ago but he believed Neels’ story needed telling, so he was going to do his best.

“There was a mighty warrior,” remembering some of the tricks Lind had used, “but he carried a spear not an axe or maul.”

Wren wanted no doubt as to which mighty warrior he was referring. A quiet hush instantly fell around the camp.