Chapter 31.1

In the time since leaving the Barbarian camp, Wren had practiced the spear almost non-stop each night, committing all the forms Neels taught him to memory. He had repeated the forms slowly and quickly in equal amounts, the way he had been shown, switching regularly between the different styles of practice.

He liked both the peaceful calm that came with the slow practice and the sweat and energy that resulted from the more sudden and dramatic practice. And he found he was actually beginning to enjoy his training.

It was the seventh night away from the camp and some time in the early hours of the morning, when Neels walked over from the fire and gestured for Wren to join him.

Wren finished the form he was doing and moved over to sit on the ground beside Neels.

“I have shown you all the basic forms," Neels said, "Remember them. Practice them. There is nothing more you need to master the spear. There are more advanced sequences but these are not essential for mastery.

”It was said that my master had learnt all the different spear forms, but I only ever saw him practicing one. The first one I taught you six nights ago. He would go through that one basic form every morning and evening. I never saw him practicing anything else. When I asked him about this, he simply said ‘The first form has everything I need, why would I practice anything else.’

“Tomorrow we will arrive at the caves. I do not know when we will next get the chance to practice.”

Wren wondered at the last comment but just nodded and let Neels continue.

“There is one more thing I wish to show you,” Neels said.

Neels quietly stepped a little away from Wren and calmed his breathing the way he did before a slow form. But instead of stepping slowly into the first stance he exploded into action. His moves were amazing. There was no expression on his face. No aggression, no strain like when he normally did the quick forms. There was just the calm relaxed focus of the slow form combined with the speed and power of the faster form. When he had finished, he calmly slowed his breathing before returning his attention back on Wren.

Wren applauded, softly clapping his hands together. He wasn’t sure what else to do.

Neels gave Wren a slight smile and said, “If you repeat the slow and fast forms often enough gradually you will begin to notice that there is less and less difference between the two. Until the point when you will forget whether you are doing it fast or slow, you’ll just be moving.”

“Do not try to repeat what you have just seen,” Neels said seriously, “That is not the way. Practice slow. Practice fast. Practice slow. Practice fast. Repeat. Repeat. Repeat. Repeat. When you are ready, the forms will merge together by themselves. Don't try to force it.”

Wren nodded, knowing he had no chance of trying to repeat what he had just seen, anyway.

Neels looked Wren in the eye then, “I see in you the potential to become a warrior, and you are well suited to the spear. Practice hard, Wren. I have enjoyed teaching you these last few days.”

Wren said nothing in reply, wondering at the melancholy tone in Neels voice. If all went well tomorrow, they would be back practicing again under the stars by nightfall. But Wren had the feeling that that was unlikely.

Wren practiced long into the night that day alternating between fast and slow as he had been told. He couldn’t get Neels’ form out of his mind, however. It was incredible. He wondered if all the Hun were as good as Neels. Remembering the calm way Lind stood against the ogres and the way he fought, he suspected they were.

Wren realised he was no longer focused on the form and was letting his mind wander. He brought his attention fully back to his movement and started again from the beginning. He had a long way to go before becoming an even passable warrior.

...

The next day they arrived at midday at a concealed cave entrance. It was hidden beneath some brush and branches.

They had seen no-one for a week and given the barren land they had traversed that wasn’t too surprising until now. As Wren looked thoughtfully around, he couldn’t understand why they hadn’t seen at least one or two guards watching the entrance. If this was a Kolle home then surely they would have someone guarding the entrance. They had taken the time to conceal it after all.

Wren could feel something was not right.

Quizi then quietly came up behind him and whispered in his ear, “Something is not right?”.

“I know,” Wren whispered, “but we have come this far. We need to carry on.”

“Just watch your back,” Quizi said. She then walked away out of sight to relieve herself before entering the cave.

Just as she left, Neels came over and said quietly to Wren, “I need to talk to you before we enter.”

“What?” said Wren, a feeling of nervousness starting to spread through his body.

“You are aware of what a blood oath is?” Neels said

“Yes,” replied Wren not liking where this was going already.

“I need you to swear a blood oath to me,” Neels said.

Wren looked confused. “I thought a blood oath was something that had to be offered, not something that can be demanded.”

Neels stared at him. “What do you know of the Hun?” He replied with real passion in his voice. “I demand a blood oath from you.”

Wren was scared. Something in the way Neels spoke made him feel very afraid all of a sudden. He took a deep breath to calm himself and said, “What is it you would ask of me?” trying to stall for time, waiting for Quizi to return.

Neels still had that scary determined look on his face when he said. “Wren, over the last six nights I have shown you the secrets of the spear. I can see in your eyes, that you know and understand the power of what I have shown you. I can see it in your practice. You are only just beginning but you know the truth of the practice. In time, with enough dedication, you will develop into a powerful warrior. Do you understand the extent of the gift I have shared with you these past few nights?”

Wren nodded. He couldn’t deny it. It was true. He had practiced relentlessly over the last few days because he knew the practice was real. He also knew he would not stop practicing until he became a warrior.

“In return, for what I have given you,” Neels continued, “I ask you to swear that when you have the moss in your hand, you will return immediately to the Chief’s son.”

Wren looked at Neels, “I thought that had always been the plan,” he said holding Neels’ gaze.

“Immediately!” Neels repeated with emphasis. “As soon as the moss is in your hand, you go. Whatever, you see or hear after that doesn’t matter. You leave.”

Wren wasn’t sure what was happening here but he did know one thing and simply said, “I will not leave Quizi behind.”

Neels ground his teeth together. “OK.” He hissed through his teeth. “Swear to me that the moment you have the moss, you will take Quizi and leave immediately for the Chief.”

Wren just said, “What of you?”

Neels gared at Wren with a fierceness that would have scared a much braver man than him, “That is my business. You owe me, Wren. You know it. Now swear to me. Swear a blood oath you will take Quizi and leave the moment you have the moss.”

Wren truly was scared and wasn’t sure if it was out of fear or respect for the Barbarian, but he found himself saying, “I swear.”

Neels held his gaze for a few seconds after Wren spoke, as if to let what Wren had just said sink into his consciousness.

“What’s going on here?” Quizi said returning to the cave entrance, noticing her two travelling companions staring at each other.

Neels just said, “Nothing. Let’s go.”

Quizi gave a quizzical look to Wren, who simply shrugged his shoulders.

Quizi just let it go. None of her business.