Chapter 29.1

“Father,” Tiel said, channeling a little bit of Celestial energy into the stud in his ear.

“Tiel. I hadn’t expected to hear from you so soon.” Marsh replied.

Tiel took a deep breath and said bluntly, “I do not have the Staff and likely will not be able to get it without an army.” Better sometimes just to come out with it.

Tiel then relayed the events of the last day to his father. There was no reply from Marsh. Tiel wasn’t sure what this meant, then his Father surprised him “You did right. I’m missing something.”

His Father complimenting him and showing more humility. This was extraordinary, but Tiel wasn’t going to complain.

“We need to better understand what is going on here before we confront it.” Marsh said, almost thinking out loud. “Something is building and what you saw today was only a part.”

Tiel then said, “So, what should I do now?”

Marsh replied, “Maybe, the time is right now for you to redeem yourself. I would like you to bring me the enduro spark. But be careful Tiel, don’t underestimate the boy.”

Tiel was surprised by the remark. He had never underestimated anyone in his life but the boy was barely an adult and had been in possession of the spark for only a few months. No doubt he was strong but surely not a danger. Tiel then knew there must be something else

“What is it?” he asked.

Marsh had expected this question, his son was too perceptive for his own good. “Julius, the bandit has resurfaced.”

Tiel and Marsh had been aware of the bandit for nearly thirty years but they hadn’t seen nor heard from him for close to twenty. He had somehow disappeared. They both suspected he carried the speed spark. His exploits were legendary and his stories spanned decades or longer. Too long for a regular affine.

Tiel was confused however. “Why are you sending me after the boy when we can get him any time. Surely we need to take this chance to kill the bandit.”

There was an extended silence before Marsh replied. “That won’t be necessary. The bandit is already dead. Found bloated and buried in a shallow grave next to a small pool of water ”

Tiel gasped, “Where was this pool?”

“North east of the Springing Wood.”

Tiel paused to think a moment. “That was where the boy was when we turned back.”

“Indeed it was,” said Marsh. “And do you know what is all the more peculiar, the boy is now said to be travelling with a young Barbarian woman. An uncannily speedy young Barbarian woman.”

“You are kidding me?” Tiel said. “The boy killed the bandit and gave her the spark to a Barbarian.”

Marsh said, “So it seems,” before pausing for a moment to let Tiel process the information. “There is more to this kid than we initially thought. First, the enduro spark practically falls into his lap. Next the bandit, who has been underground for years, suddenly decides to put in appearance, right in the boys path. Then this Staff suddenly appears from nowhere. I’m convinced these things are all linked in some way. But like I said I’m missing something.”

Marsh then changed his tone, to one of certainty. “But I cannot pass up the opportunity to go after the enduro and speed spark, both together in the same place carried by novices. It’s like a birthday gift. But I reiterate my warning, be careful, Tiel. Do not underestimate the boy or the girl, there is more going on here than meets the eye.”

Marsh then relayed to his son what he knew of the boy’s location before breaking the link and leaving Tiel to his own thoughts.

The boy and girl were last sighted heading across the mountains. Tiel had the feeling from before that given the boys direction, he would eventually attempt to cross the mountains. Rumour had it, he crossed at Canter Point but this was likely deep with snow and virtually impassable now, so the only other way to cross the mountains was the Valley Pass. Still treacherous nevertheless, but at least doable.

The Valley pass was a very long way from where the boy crossed. But Tiel suspected the boy and girl probably continued east and maybe south on the other side of the mountains so maybe there would be no big loss of time from taking the Valley pass. It may even be faster.

Tiel nodded his thanks to Celie and returned to the group. “We are heading into the mountains. Make sure you prepare appropriately at the next town,” he announced to all.

They nodded. None seemingly in the mood for a chat or in a hurry to return to the underground temple.

“We are going after the boy and it turns out he has found another sparked affine for company. A little barbarian woman from all accounts that carries the speed spark,” Tiel continued.

Alona's body slumped visibly. She knew this moment would come. She knew what the vision the Old One showed her meant. It was obvious after all. The Old One wanted her to protect Wren. But how could she? And what would be the cost of doing this? Tiel would not tolerate anyone getting in his way, especially when it concerned the enduro spark. Something he had been after for years now.

She could not and would not harm Tiel. Yet, how else could she stop him without causing him some kind of physical harm. Or killing him. The vision flashed before her eyes again. The Old One, spreading its branches to shelter Wren and she knew she had to try something.

Slowly a thought took hold in her mind. She almost laughed out loud at the ridiculousness of the idea but as she rubbed her temples, she resigned herself to what she had to do. She had to persuade Tiel there was an alternative to all this killing. And it started with the boy.

But how? She knew the reason she wouldn’t harm Tiel was because she believed there was something inside of him worth saving. Something good. Something worth nurturing. Something worth the time and effort to help grow. But it needed a lot of time and effort. Far too much time and effort.

Tiel had been tracking down and killing affines since before she was even born. It was part of his psyche now. He accepted it as part of life the way she might accept the sun rose in the east. Changing his behaviour would be virtually impossible.

But again how to try? The only thing that came to mind was appealing to Tiel’s conscience and trying to get him to start listening to his heart. Alona nearly burst out laughing again at the absurdness of it all. Make Tiel listen to his heart. Crazy. He had a hundred years of practicing the precise opposite. But she did know he had a heart. She was sure. So maybe there was a chance.