Chapter Four

The next morning before the sun comes up, I make my way outside. Yesterday's healing exhausted me so much that I got a better sleep than I have in months and this morning, I want more than anything to have a chance to train by myself. Once I'm in the front yard with plenty of space, I pop in my headphones and try to lose myself to the music. After all, the best way to practice my quirk control is to practice emotion control. I take a deep breath and let it out slowly, practicing the moves I'd perfected at our old academy. Power is a big part of my quirk and drawing up enough energy for precise attacks is something that I've struggled with a lot. Training at our old academy to actually incorporate my energy pulses into real moves made it a lot easier... still... I couldn't help but be envious of my sister.

Shiori's quirk is more powerful than she gives it credit for. Hell, if the girl really wants to, she can put a whole town to sleep before the first chorus of any song she chooses to sing. She doesn't always have precision control, especially without her gear, but the way I see it, no one can keep fighting if they're all sleeping. Plus, if she wears out her quirk, she's able to sleep it off for a few days if someone can get her to a safe space but for me? I try not to remember all of the ways I've lost control in the past. If I use too much of my own energy it'll kill me, or worse... it'll kill someone else.

I spend a few hours outside, testing my speed and flexibility all while trying to balance short bursts of energy pulses. I trip up a couple times, cursing under my breath and wiping the sweat from my brow before starting up again. Come on, Kaida. I pump myself up right before the kick, throwing one leg out behind me and tucking my elbows in close to my body. I swing my leg back with full force, directing the smallest about of pulse into the back of my heel only to feel my foot connect. I gasp as it stops short and my entire body stiffens. When I look up, I see Todoroki, staring down at my ankle in his hand with mild disinterest. I yank my foot away immediately, almost losing my balance.

"You're up early" he notes, watching me carefully. I take a few steps back, a little embarrassed by my appearance.

"I wanted to get some training in" I reply breathlessly.

"Shouldn't you be taking it easy after injuring yourself?" he wonders and I scoff.

"Is that how you'd become the number one hero?" I ask and am pleased to see him a little taken aback.

"Is that your goal?" he asks and I raise an eyebrow.

"Isn't it yours?" I retort and, again, he looks a little surprised.

"You should train with your classmates once in a while. We could help, you know" he says finally and I don't know what to say to that. I train with Shiori mostly and maybe some of our classmates back home for a time but, these guys?

"You want to help me? Even after yesterday?" I ask, a little surprised myself. Todoroki pauses a moment, his eyes incredibly cold and calculating. It's disconcerting.

"Not many people are capable of breaking through my ice. I'd be interested to see what you'd be capable of if you learned a little more control" he says finally. I don't know whether to be offended by the control comment or surprised that someone from school is interested in training with me already.

"I didn't break through it" I correct him, remembering with painful clarity the cracked surface of the ice and my fractured hand. I clutch it absently, remembering the splintering pain.

"You didn't have enough precision in your attack. Your methods were wild and messy and your technique was erratic. You had the entire field of students tripping over themselves half the time. It's not power you lack, Ito. It's focus" he replies, matter of fact. I flinch, gritting my teeth. Who's he to tell me how to handle my quirk? We're the same age!