Chapter Eleven

After Endeavor finished up his mini interrogation, he came out of the building even surlier than usual and divided us up in teams of two. To Todoroki's dismay, he took him along, placed Midoriya with Burnin', and lumped me and Bakugo together before sending us off to gather as much information we could on the new crime syndicate. Now, as Bakugo and I make our way through the back of a fish market, I find myself dismayed too.

"What are we doing here?" I demand, wrinkling my nose at the smell. I love seafood, but the fish market has never smelled good to me.

"We're gathering information" he replies shortly and I roll my eyes. On the bright side, it's so easy to be irritated at Bakugo that it's almost impossible to think about anything else.

"At a fish market? Do you have a quirk I don't know about?" I ask, earning a sharp look.

"Don't make jokes" he growls and I notice that he's a little angrier than usual, even for him.

"What's up with you, anyway?" I ask and he scoffs.

"Nothing, just leave it alone" he retorts but I can see how rigid he is, his shoulders stiff and clearly holding something in. His fists are clenched and despite his request accompanied by my better judgment, I can't just let him wallow in it. Not after he's done so much for me in the same regard.

"Bakugo, stop" I say, grabbing his arm. He freezes, body tensing against my touch.

"We can't work effectively as a team against an enemy if we can't trust each other. Right now, you're in a dangerous mood for confrontation and I'm not gonna go charging in anywhere until you talk to me about it" I tell him. It's true that I'm a hothead and I've almost never got a plan, but if I'm recognizing someone else's behavior as dangerous? What does that say? Bakugo yanks his arm away from me suddenly, spinning around with rage filled red eyes.

"Who are you to tell me I'm dangerous?! Who's the one who's actually dealt with these scum bags before? I don't need you to do my job!" he snaps. Anger flares within me and I grit my teeth, glaring at him.

"Well you need someone! Sulking around here like some kind of little kid. It's okay to have more to learn, Bakugo! You don't need to know it all already to be a good hero. When are you gonna realize that I'm trying to help you?!" I bark back, knocking him on top of his head with the side of my fist.

"Ow! What was that for?!" he shouts.

"That was for you acting like an idiot!" I retort and he throws up his hands. I can see it in his face that he's about as close to killing me as I am to killing him for being such a dunce when an older woman passes by, a grocery bag in hand.

"Ah, to be young and in love again" she laughs to herself just loud enough for both of us to hear. Our faces both instantly flare a bright red and we look away from each other.

"Th-that's not it!" he stammers while I try to hide my embarrassment. Is that how people really see us? How? We practically hate each other.

"People have a weird idea of what love is here" I laugh nervously. Bakugo looks at me, torn between frustration, embarrassment, and annoyance.

"I don't love you" he emphasizes, making me smirk.

"I don't love you either, idiot. Let's go" I reply and he grimaces at me.

"You're the idiot, dumbass" he mutters, making me laugh.

"Feel better?" I ask once we finally continue our walk and his grimace deepens. I can tell he's not really the talk about your feelings type, but I can also tell that he knows he probably should be. At least sometimes.