Chapter Six

The next day we head directly to our respective work studies. This time, Shiori and I arrive with Bakugo, Midoriya, and Todoroki and while Shiori's been having a pretty regular conversation with Midoriya, I've been mostly quiet. All I can think about is what to do next. How do I get my name out there?

"Hey, bird brain, what are you starin' at?" Bakugo huffs and I glare at him.

"Hey, asshole, why do you care?" I snap in English and I'm surprised when his eyes widen and his nostrils flare.

"What'd you call me?!" he shouts and my glare deepens.

"You heard me" I snap before a solid object nails me right in the top of the head. I wince, sucking in a breath. Looks like Burnin' got tired of us arguing and whacked us both in the head.

"Ow" I mutter, rubbing the now sore spot. Burnin' beams at us.

"Welcome back" she says cheerfully, hands on her hips.

"Hey, what was that for?!" Bakugo shouts and she gives him a challenging glare.

"Don't pick fights with me, kid. You'll lose" she assures him before going on to ignore him completely.

"Today we're gonna split you up. Shiori, you're gonna tag along with Bakugo, Midoriya's with me, and Todoroki? You can take Kaida on your patrol" she says and my first instinct is to argue.

"Seriously?" I'm surprised to hear Shiori say before I get the chance, her face so obviously unhappy that it's hard not to laugh. Burnin' raises an eyebrow at her and tilts her head curiously.

"You have something to say about it?" she demands. Shiori doesn't say anything in reply but I can tell she's pissed. Pairing her up with Bakugo? Probably one of the worst things anyone could have done. But pairing me with Todoroki? That's not how this works. I'm always with my sister. Always.

"Shiori and I work best together. We've never been apart for patrols" I begin and if I'm not mistaken, Burnin's fiery green hair sparks a shade lighter as she turns an irritated gaze onto me.

"Go with your assigned partners or go home!" she snaps and none of us dare speak again. Instead, I look back at Shiori several times as I follow Todoroki into the city, that is, until I can't see her anymore.

"You seem disappointed" Todoroki notes after a while and I sigh, feeling a little bad.

"It's not that..." I try, but I am disappointed. Still, I guess I get it. Shiori and I know nothing about the patrols in Japan, let alone what it's like working with other heroes. I know why Burnin' did it. That doesn't mean I like it.

"You and your sister... you're close" he says and I try my hardest not to stare at him sarcastically.

"Ever since we were born" I agree and he nods.

"It must be difficult to be separated from her" he adds and this time I have to make a face.

"What is this? Small talk?" I ask and his eyes widen a fraction.

"I'm sorry, would you prefer we stay silent?" he wonders and I start to wonder myself if he's always so... robotic? I sigh internally. I can't complain about his monotonous attitude and complain when he's trying to make an effort.

"No. I'm sorry... I'm just surprised I guess. You didn't seem like the type to be interested in that sort of thing" I reply and he purses his lips in thought for a moment.

"I wasn't always..." he begins, then looks at me. The sudden eye contact makes me feel flustered, though I can't put my finger on why, and I avert my gaze, cursing my pale skin.