Chapter Seventeen

The next day, Midoriya, Bakugo, Shoto, and I all end up on mission together, set up by Endeavor himself, to bring in a cell of the new villain organization spotted setting up shop just outside the city. Since training began, I've been dying to work out my quirk and today, I finally get a chance to show the world what I'm made of.

"Hey, Kaida. Welcome back" Midoriya says, offering a kind smile. I smile back at him. Midoriya's been nothing but nice to me since I've been here and sure, he's awkward sometimes, but the kid's got a good heart and hanging out with him often reminds me to make better decisions.

"Thanks, Deku. Good to be back" I reply, joining the group. Aside from Deku, Bakugo kind of ignores me, and Shoto? Well, when he looks at me, I look away before my face gives away everything. That jerk, looking at me like that in public. I chance a glance at him and blush anyway. Mismatched eyes, his hair in disarray over his forehead, his lips parted just before he's about to speak... oh my god, Kaida! Get a grip! I look away again.

"We've got a bit of a lengthy trip ahead of us so be prepared. Once we get the villains subdued, we have some people from the heroes' association on standby, ready to clean up the mess" Shoto says, all business. God, he's hot when he talks like that. Jesus, Kaida. I take a breath, eyes darting away from my assumed boyfriend only to land on Bakugo. Now he's finally looking at me and it feels like his gaze alone is enough to set me on fire. I recoil away from his stare, a pit opening in my stomach. What the hell?

I recover from Bakugo's stare after a few minutes of avoiding it and pretty soon, our group is on its way to the reported sighting spot, all of us ready for anything. It takes us a little bit to get there, but once we do, I'm surprised by the state of the place. It looks like a ghost town, empty and desolate, and the address we were given is home to a forlorn looking building, windows boarded up and roof looking like a death trap. I swallow.

"Is this really the place?" I wonder. It's quiet here, not so much as the noise of stray animals or insects around. It's eerie.

"This is it..." Deku confirms, starting towards the house. I follow him, both nervous and eager to see what awaits us. With the other two guys making up the caboose, the four of us carefully enter the building, watching our steps and trying to remain as silent as possible.

"This is..." Deku breathes as we descend down a set of worn stairs. He turns back, looking up at me with startled realization.

"...a trap" he whispers, eyes wide. Fear drills through me, kicking my adrenaline into hyper drive before I hear what sounds like a spring activated trap. The house around us disintegrates as a pair of metallic, jaw-like clamps, snap shut over our heads with a loud clang. Laughter emanates from all around us as the vision of the house warps and twists and fades into a large woman with white eyes, slicked back black hair, and sallow skin.

"Clever boy" she hisses through jagged, shark-like teeth, and smiles. Anger rips through me. Damn it! I slam my fist against the bars around us, ignoring the way my knuckles protest.

"What's the big idea, huh?!" Bakugo shouts, voice clearly agitated, but not afraid. The woman looks at him with sadistic interest.

"Ooh, curious are we?" she rasps, giggling in a sort of sickly way, choking and wheezing on the sound.

"They call me, Deathtrap" she tells us, sauntering around her cage.

"I'd say I did a pretty good job... locking the lot of you up" she spits, a wicked grin on her face. I grit my teeth, angered by her confidence.

"Not for long" I growl, gaining her attention. She eyes me carefully, dancing towards the cage and reaching her hand in to snatch me by the shirt. I gasp as she yanks me up against the bars, getting close enough to my face to spit in it when she speaks.