Chapter Thirty-Two

As expected, training with Bakugo over the last few days has been nothing short of emotionally exhausting, not to mention the fact that he's been thoroughly pissed off at having to sit back to train when he should be out there catching villains. He voices as much for the millionth time today, snapping at Endeavor in a way that only he can get away with.

"It's been almost the whole week that you've had us in here training! We don't need more training right now! We need to be out there helping!" he shouts as we start cleanup for the night. I sigh, wiping sweat off my brow. I won't disagree with him, mostly because I don't actually think he's wrong, but I also don't want to get involved in an argument between the two of them again.

"Training doesn't end once you become pro heroes, it must be consistent if you want to have any hope of ever being the best. Hero work isn't something you can just guess your way through, you have to work at it, Bakugo! Clearly, you need to learn a thing or two about patience and insubordination" Endeavor growls, crossing his arms over his chest. Bakugo scoffs angrily, turning his back on him. I can tell he's furious, but the look Endeavor gives me over his head prompts me to drop everything. I guess training isn't quite over yet after all. I run across the mat and launch myself off the ground, using my energy to propel me upwards so that when I come down, the force behind my hit is at a peak. Bakugo barely has time to react and his eyes widen as I land the hit, taking him down to the mat. He gasps, the hit knocking the breath out of him, but he's quicker than even I knew, grabbing my arm and yanking me over to slam me onto my back. I wheeze out a breath, pretty surprised myself.

"You'll have to do better than that!" he yells. Without thinking too hard about it, I swing my leg up and over, slamming it into his waist and knocking him over in one swift motion. When I get up to pin him, I find myself sitting on top of him, a leg on either side of his hips, knees holding his arms down by his sides, and fist raised for what would be the final blow. His eyes widen and my face heats, heartbeat quickening. I suddenly think about the night at the hot springs, leaning over to kiss him as I... I shake my head and get up immediately, hating how red my face must be. Damn it. I keep losing my focus with him, but he recovers more quickly than I do, getting back up and blasting himself up and over me. I twist to one side, expecting a heavy right hook, but he surprises me and attacks from the left, blasting me across the room. I hit the mat and roll hard, tumbling over and staggering into a crouch, wiping blood from my lip. Damn it. I can't be angry at him for giving it his all, but even I didn't expect him to be so strong. Bakugo... he's really something.

"Are you getting tired already?" he demands, that familiar ferocious look on his face. When he gets like this, it's easy to see where others might be intimidated, but honestly? I think it's kinda hot. I smirk.

"Not even close!" I retort, focusing on my rapid heartbeat and slamming my hands into the ground, palms flat. My energy ripples through the ground like threads, spreading and splintering out so quickly that even he doesn't realize what's happening. I clench my fists, yanking the streams of energy around Bakugo's ankles and I pull up hard. Bakugo curses when I take him down, using my energy to drag him quickly across the floor and into another attack. Here we go!

"Not so fast!" he growls and as he gets within range, he blasts me again, forcing me to abandon my previous plans and leap into the air, using my energy to gain footholds before flipping over him. I land and try to catch my breath, caught off guard by his impressive reaction time. Damn it! Has he always been this good? I duck beneath another blow, sending out rapid fire pulses that rock through the air, but it also leaves me a little dizzy. That was too forced. I need to regain control. Bakugo reaches for me, palm radiating an intense red-orange light before the sparks begin. Time slows and I can see everything in detail as he launches a blast at me. It hits me square in the chest, knocking the air from me and coating my body in immense heat. I gasp, heart racing. I can't lose. Energy explodes out of me, creating a thin film that travels over my skin. The heat dissipates and my hand shoots forward, grabbing Bakugo's wrist.