Chapter 25

The smell of smoke filled your lungs as you ran down the hall, using the sleeve of your jumper to cover your nose and mouth as smoke rapidly started to seep through the kitchen door and into the hallway. With a deep breath you opened the kitchen door, an immediate wave of heat and thick smoke hitting you as you made your way into the kitchen, tears instantly burning your eyes as you maneuvered your way to the oven, cursing as you trip over the bar stools that stood In your path.

Quickly turning the dial to switch off the oven, you threw open the door, coughing wildly as thick black smoke entered your lungs, the smoke and heat causing your eyes to burn more. If you squinted hard enough you could make out the outline of the Victoria sponge cake you had attempted to make, however the fact that it was completely burnt meant it was almost camouflaged amidst the interior of the oven. Grabbing the gloves to the side, you carefully picked up the round tray and dumped it on the counter, not even caring if it fell apart. You grabbed your wand from your cardigan jumper and muttered a small spell under your breath, holding your breath as you watched all the fog and smoke rush towards your wand, the tip vacuuming every last spec.

"I think maybe we should leave the baking to me next time Miss (y/n)" You heard a high pitched, delicate voice from behind you, releasing your breath as Lita steps into the kitchen tentatively, her eyes wide as she surveys the mess.

"You think?" You say and point to the rock solid, burnt cake that lay on the kitchen counter.

The sounds of her delicate snorts and giggles grew a smile on your face as you join in with her laughter, looking at what was supposed to be Toms birthday cake.

"At lease we know where your talents lay Miss (y/n)" Lita giggles as she uses the gloves and dumps the stone like cake in the bin.

"I'll happily toast to that" You raise your glass before taking a large gulp, sighing in satisfaction as the cool liquid trickled down your throat. "What am I supposed to do now? That was meant to be Toms birthday cake" You wiped your mouth, rather ungraciously as you looked at the clock, frowning as you only had two hours until they got home.

"Well Miss (y/n) is lucky that Lita came prepared and make a cake last night" A smile widened on your face as a perfectly baked Victoria sponge cake floated in from the pantry and placed delicately on the worktop in front of you.

The words Happy Birthday Tom written elegantly in dark green icing decorated the top along with intricately drawn swirls and patterns that covered the sides.

"Lita you are the best!" You squealed, throwing your arms around the small elf, your eyes wide with glee as you gaze at the cake.

"It's Lita's pleasure Miss (y/n)" She says happily as she hugs your legs with her smaller arms. "Now let Lita clear up the kitchen whilst Miss (y/n) decorates the rest of the house" She smiles and dethatches herself from your body.

"No way are you clearing up" You frown and shake your head "I made the mess so I'll clear it up and continue with the decorating later"

"Miss (y/n) you are to listen to Lita!" She exclaimed, which took you aback slightly. "Master Tom is to be back soon, there is not enough time for you to decorate and wrap his gift. Lita has had a relaxing day, she is happy to clear up" She finished softly, a small nervous smile gracing her lips.

"Fine... you win!" You sigh and turn around to leave. "Please let me know if you need any help" You say before leaving the kitchen, smiling to yourself as you hear her humming away.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

You sighed in relief as you finally secured the last balloon to the door. You spent the last two hours decorating the rest of the house, continuing with the entrance and living room where you hung banners and green balloons with confetti in them. Your decorating skills followed into the dining room where you littered the table with little gold stars and 'happy birthdays.' Setting the table with the finest crockery and tablecloth that your aunt owned along with a few snacks. You had hung a single balloon on every door of the mansion, well every door that you knew Tom would use, which consisted of the front door, the library door, the kitchen, your bedroom and finally the bathroom. Inside those balloons were pictures of the two of you, where you had convinced him to force a smile onto his face as he posed awkwardly in front of your aunt.