Chapter 26

The next few days continued in a blur, your mind in a constant haze as you battled with your consciousness, not knowing whether to follow the advice of your mind or your heart. You hadn't told your Aunt the truth as the guilt consumed your senses almost every time you tried to, even though you knew none of it was your fault, you couldn't believe that you had welcomed a murderer into your family's home with such love. You had managed to form an excuse, saying you argued over something silly and forced him to leave, which couldn't have been far enough from the truth.

"Are you feeling any better today?" Your Aunts soft voice brought you out of your thoughts, her small, delicate figure standing in your doorway nervously, not wanting to scare you.

You gulped slowly, wincing slightly as your throat scratched from being so dry and sore from the continuous wails that woke you from your nightmares.

"Yes, I feel better" You say quietly, taking the mug of hot tea that lay in the tray she set on your lap.

"You should eat something; it will bring your energy up" She said and picked up a shortbread biscuit that lay on the tray and waved it under your nose tauntingly.

You picked the biscuit from her fingers delicately, holding it to your lips and nibbling it slightly, humming in approval even though the taste of it made you sick.

"He must have really broken your heart huh?" She says as she looks at you with sad eyes, "Those are your favourite"

You paused and set the biscuit down on the tray, other than the small pitiful excuse you had given your aunt, you had never told her anything more. Thankfully she didn't push you, as nosy as she could be, she knew when to keep her nose out of people's business, especially her heart broken niece's.

"Something like that yeah" You voice cracked slightly, clearing your throat before taking small sips of your tea.

"Would you like to talk about it?" She says and rests a hand on your leg that was tucked away under your soft blanket, you could feel her thumb stroking your shin softly in comfort, your heart swelling slightly from the touch.

"It was stupid" You lied, your hands shaking slightly as you felt your heartbeat quicken from the thought

He killed her

"He'll probably end up apologising sooner or later" You gave her a tight-lipped smile as you forced the lie from your lips as convincingly as you could. "I'm sure he's back at Hogwarts now anyway, it'll give him time to think of an apology before I'm back"

She let out a soft snort and shook her head softly, a small smile gracing her lips.

"Your exactly like your mother, such a strong minded and stubborn young lady" She said. "You may not hear it often with your mother gone and your father always on the move, but (Y/n) I am so so proud of you. I know you may not feel like it now, but you have matured into such a strong, smart and beautiful young lady and I know both your mother and father are so proud of you right now"

A lump formed in your throat as tears threatened to spill from your eyes.

How can she be proud of a liar?

"Thank you, Aunt Mary," You gulped and looked down at your hands on your lap. "That means a lot, I know I don't write to you often and if I'm honest I was dreading spending Christmas here as father promised to spend it with me" You say as you fiddle with your fingers. "But this has been one of the best Christmas's I've ever had, minus the past few days obviously. Even with father not being here, I've had such a wonderful time with you and Lita, and I just want you to know that I love you both so so much and that I hope you can forgive me" You sniffle as the tears start to stream down your face.