Chapter 22

The warm breeze filtered through your hair, the long strands blowing behind you gently in the humid summer night. Your vision was fuzzy, your peripheral view fading, your direct field of view being the only thing that was clear. You turned around in your spot, desperately trying to figure out where you were, but a constant strong force was keeping you rooted to the ground. Looking down, you noticed you were not in your normal attire, a floor length royal blue gown with wrist length slightly puffed sleeves adorned your figure.

"Where am I?" you thought, continuing to survey your surroundings.

A pale green leaf landed on your shoulder causing you to look up, noticing the giant willow tree that towered above you, its branches blowing graciously in the wind.

"Why does this feel so familiar?" you question.

You stood in the middle of a vast field under a large willow tree that was positioned right at the centre, surrounded by tons of daisies and poppies that littered the field. Your eyes squinted as you notice a tall figure approaching you, only the outline of his silhouette visible in the moonlight. As he gradually got closer, you could hear his voice calling out a name, however it wasn't yours but yet you were the only other person there.

"Rowena!" he called, slowing down his jog as neared you, instantly taking his hands in yours as he stood in front of you.

"Salazar" you whisper, noticing the happiness in your voice as you squeeze his hand in yours.

Although you could sense everything: from his touch to the sound of his voice and the smell of the fresh dew that decorated the grass, you didn't seem to have control of your body, almost as if you were in the mind of someone else.

"I'm sorry I took long my love, it was hard to shake off my family" he said, cupping your cheek gently and gazing down at you lovingly.

"It's alright" you smile, pressing your cheek into his hand as you embrace his touch. "I had not been waiting too long anyway"

He pulled you into a warm embrace, his muscular arms wrapping around your waist as you hook your arms around his neck, his face buried in the crook of your neck. His touch felt so familiar, his warmth and his strength felt almost exactly like Toms.

"I'm sorry I couldn't let you know sooner but I cannot stay long" you hear your voice say, pulling back from his touch. "My mother is still obsessing over this... betrothal" you gulp, looking up at him with sad eyes.

He sighs heavily, resting his forehead against yours as a lone tear streams down his cheek.

"I wish things could be different" he whispers, his voice cracking midway. He paused momentarily, embracing the solemn silence that overwhelmed you.

"I-I had something I wanted to do" he pulled away and took out his wand from his sleeve. "I'm going to need your wand... and your blood" he gulped.

"My blood? Why?" you reply in shock but complying to his wishes as you pull your wand from the sleeve of your dress.

"Our families are at constant feud... and I don't want to ever be the cause of your pain" he said, grimacing at all the times family members from both parties had broken out in a fight at almost every encounter.

"What is it your trying to say Salazar?" you ask softly, bringing your hand to his cheek as you stare up at him with big eyes.

"I found a way to charm our wands, it will stop any harmful spell from affecting each other" he replied. "In order to do it, I need to cast a spell on your wand with my wand with droplets of your blood on mine which will reverse the spell onto my wand too" he said, pulling out a small dagger from the waistband of his pants. "Do I have your consent?" he asks gently, taking your left palm in his hand, turning it upwards.