Part 38

"Save me."

I sat back and watched Avi spring out of bed and stretch. He scratched his head and walked towards the bathroom. I fell back on my bed and replayed everything that had happened, which was becoming a constant occurrence.

A month ago, I started "dating" Avi. We played it up for everyone who knew us well enough to know our usual dating habits. We'd cuddle and kiss, just like normal couples do, but we weren't together. Then we fell in love and stopped playing the game. It had been pretty smooth sailing after that. Until the almost accident. Nothing pained me more than watching the strong pillar that was my boyfriend collapse into a small frail child. He was shaking. I could hear the hitching breathing of a panicked child and I had no idea how to help him. I couldn't do anything but call his name and hope he heard me. I'd hoped seeing his face would let me know he was alright, but instead, I saw his pain. I felt his pain. I got him home as fast as I could. He dragged me into my room and told me how to help him. I sang him to sleep, but I also made him a promise. I'd help him through this. I refused to see him curled up in a car seat again trying to deal by himself. I'd always be there for him. Then we... Did that really happen? Was I dreaming? That was one elaborate dream if it was.

Avi walked out of my bathroom holding his towel in his hand and not around his body. He smiled at me and tossed it at me, covering my face. I threw it back and went into the bathroom to take my shower. I stepped out of my underwear and into the shower with someone following behind me.

"What are you doing?"

"Showering with you!"

"I got that, but..."

"Please?"

"Fine."