Part 61

*** This was going to be a half chapter on the last chapter, but I felt like this could stand alone as a seperate chapter, so... ***

"You're fine. Idiot."

I watched Avi curl into a ball and press his hands against his ears. Kirstie was still leaning against his shoulder, but she didn't seem bothered by the shifting of weight. He started rocking back and forth, which alarmed Kirstie. She leaned away from him and watched him for a second. He continued to rock, muttering softly to himself. He hummed out a symphony of soft cries into the space between his thighs and stomach. He moved to stand up, but sat back against the couch. He grabbed his head again and screamed. His scream melted the air into a pure sludge of melancholy that wrapped its gorging arms around my heart and squeezed as tight as it could. He stood up suddenly and walked to the door of the apartment. He stood there silently, staring at the door with an obvious desolation in his eyes.

"No one's ever going to love me..."

"Avi?"

"There were no air bags..."

"Avi!"

"Please leave."

"Avi?"

He turned his head slowly and looked deep into my eyes. I could see a stinging realization wash over his jade eyes. He turned back to the door and... laughed? He pulled his beanie off his head and pulled it down on mine. Didn't he hate it when I took his beanie? Avi sulked off into my room and closed the door behind him. I tried to open the door, but there was something heavy blocking it. I pressed my back against the it and looked up at the worried eyes of Kirstie and Scott on the couch.

"Not again," I heard Avi whisper.

Again? Had this happened before? Why wouldn't he talk to me? Was this my fault? Did he hate me? I pulled at the sides of his beanie and looked back into the kitchen at the large pot of soup that was cooling on the stove. Avi said he was getting better. He went to a therapist, he wasn't having nightmares, and he was improving. What went wrong? Was it me? It was me. It had to be me. I was the only thing that's changed.

"This is my fault."