Part 58

"I guess it's really bad, huh?"

I pulled the soup covered spoon out of Kirstie's face and watched in contort. She looked like a kid eating a warhead. She stuck her tongue out and fanned it while drying the single tear that was going down her face. Scott was standing behind her, laughing to the point of physical pain. I rolled my eyes and playfully tossed a dishtowel at Scott. The towel stuck to his bare chest and made a satisfying squish sound against his skin. He tossed it back into the sink and grabbed some paper towels to dry off.

"It's good, Subwoofer, but it's a little spicy." Kirstie turned and grabbed the milk out the fridge and drank the last bit left straight from the gallon jug.

"Subwoofer?"

"Well, yeah. You bottom right?"

Everything stopped. There was a legitimate pause before Scott erupted into loud titters of laughter, like that of a hyena from Lion King. I had never glared so hard at Kirstie, and I dated her at one point. I know, I shudder at the thought. She smiled innocently, like she didn't just assume the truth of me. I got another spoon full of the extra spicy soup and stuck it in her mouth while she wasn't paying attention. I smiled and watched the pleasant grin on her face fade as the heating elements of the soup set in. I probably had the slyest grin plastered across my face. I was so pleased with myself. Kirstie was searching for something to cool the flames of hell resting on her tongue, but she'd just drank the last of the milk. She had to wait this out.

Just then, Avi came in our door. I left the kitchen and ran into his arms, which were open for me. The sweet smile on his face was so promising. He'd decided against taking his car, so we had to pick a therapist close to the apartment. He seemed happier, but was it an act?

"Hey, Kitten." He kissed the tip of my nose, wrapped his arm around my waist and pulled me against his side so he could walk into the apartment. "Hey, Scott. Hey, Kirstie"

"Hey, Woofer!" Kirstie had the largest grin on her face, though tears were lining her cheeks. She turned to take the bottle of water Scott was trying to offer her and drank it, moaning into the bottle as it calmed her burning tongue.

"Woofer?"

"You don't want to know."