Chapter 6 | "lights out"

flashback to 8 years ago.

"Ji? Ji! It's Wooyoung! Hansol's gone rogue, please help me, he's going to kill me! We're at the old spot, please come quickly!" Wooyoung's panicked voice sent chills down Jihyun's spine as she felt the panic shoot through her body.

Grabbing her gun, she ran out of the back of their house, stumbling down the stairs and running as fast as her small legs could take her. She ran through the woods to the clearing where the three of them used to play everyday as kids.

She arrived, squinting in the darkness while frantically searching for her brother. Suddenly a bright light shone towards the far end of the clearing where Hansol was standing in front of a tall pine tree. She raised her gun at her friend with tears streaming down her face.

"Ji! What are you doing! Help me!" He shouted at her, raising his hands over his head.

"Jihyun! Don't listen to him, please he's going to kill both of us!" Her brother's voice echoed around the clearing as she continued to stare at Hansol.

"Ji, he's lying. Please listen to me, I haven't done anything." Hansol stared at her with teary eyes, frozen to the spot.

"Jihyun, I'm your brother! We're going to lead together, remember? Why would I want to hurt you? He has me trapped, please do something quick!" The young 12 year old girl stared at Hansol, a sob leaving her lips, not knowing what to do.

Suddenly her brother's ear piercing scream rang out through the clearing, "Jihyun quickly! Help me!" Pain laced his voice as a sob escaped her lips. She closed her eyes and pulled the trigger, shooting Hansol in the head. Tears streaming down her face, she dropped her gun and started looking for her brother.

"Wooyoung! Where are you!" She cried out, "I'll come help you!" She was met with silence. Frantic, she turned in circles, trying to make out her brother in the darkness.

"No need to help me." She jumped as she heard her brother's voice right behind her. She spun around as her brother strolled out of the darkness, into the moonlit center of the clearing, completely untouched.

"What? Y-you're fine? W-whats happening? I thought you were h-hurt?" She choked out, hands trembling as her brother walked closer.

"Oh you stupid girl. How does it feel to have murdered your best friend?" She stared at her brother in horror.

"W-what?"

"I brought Hansol here. He didn't do anything." An evil smirk playing on his lips as Jihyun's face paled in realization. She turned to run to her friend's body when strong hands grabbed her from behind. One of her brother's friends, Minjun, was holding her in place as her brother stalked towards her, knife in hand.

He traced the knife along her jaw, laughing to himself as Jihyun froze, staring in shock at the boy in front of her.

"You've taken everything from me. I was supposed to lead! You were supposed to follow me, listen to me, do what I say! Father wants you to lead and shove me in the back as nothing but some stupid heir." He was seething, his knuckles turning white from how tightly he was gripping his knife.

"W-what about him? Why him?"

"Hansol? He didn't really do anything, I could've picked any of them really, I just wanted your last moments to be as painful as possible." He growled out, an evil smirk on his face.

"But don't worry, you won't have to live with the guilt of murdering your friend, I'll make sure of that." He growled out, emphasizing 'live' with a dark glint in his eyes. He then signaled to Minjun to follow him. Jihyun felt her hands and legs being tied, and tape being placed over her mouth before she was carried into the darkness.