18.

"They're back!" Wendy let out a joyful squeal as Adam and the kids walked through the boutique entrance.

"Finally." Kenneth nodded his head.

Sam grinned when his eyes landed on Matt who he was to help with his clothes.

I'll finally prove to Wendy that I'm a better fashionista than she is. He thought, pleased.

Adam was saying a word to the kids so they were not yet headed their way.

"Geez, Sam, stop looking like you're ready to pounce on the poor boy alive," Marco cautioned but all he got from Sam was an eyeroll.

Rita laughed, "He's just excited. Right Sam?"

"Yeah, sure," Sam murmured with disinterest as his eyes were kept firmly on Matt.

Reece looked over Adam's shoulder and his eyes landed on Sam's turquoise ones.

"Yo, what's with the creepy staring of your worker, man?" Reece asked Adam with a small frown. They all turned to see who Reece was looking at and saw Sam. At least Sam had the decency to lower his gaze.

Adam chuckled. "Sam's being impatient as usual. He's waiting to try some clothes on Matt."

On hearing his name, Matt groaned.

He remembered Sam and one thing he knew was that Sam liked wasting time looking for certain patterns or deisgns that was sure to bring out his eye color or hair color....one color or whatever.

Matt cringed at the memory.

He'd rather waste time in the library or a bookshop, not in a boutique.

He sighed.

"Cheer up Matty!" Scarlett said with a grin.

"You're going to get new clothes; brand new ones that hasn't been worn by anyone before and clothes that doesn't have patches like our old ones, clothes that are stylish and that people would admire. Don't you want that?" She tilted her head to one side.

Adam stilled for a while.

Funny how Scarlett's innocent words always seem to pierce through him.

She wasn't even saying to get a reaction from him but she succeeded without her needing to.

Patched clothes? Adam's eyes watered and he quickly looked away before anyone noticed.

"Before my mummy left, our food was kinda simple. Porridge in the morning and broth at night."

What Scarlett had said earlier on floated into his mind.

"No extra money for any other snacks or food. Most of the time I was hungry but after a while I got used to it."

"I want that," Matt replied with a smile.

"Great!" Scarlett said and waved towards Wendy.

The five workers came forward at once. Sam and Wendy shoving at each other in other to get to them first.

"We're back," Scarlett told Wendy with a grin.

"That's right sweetie," Wendy grinned back.

Sam snorted and went to stand beside Matt and patted his head. Marco rolled his eyes. They were two competitive souls.

"Mr Adam?" Lucy's light touch brought him away from the thoughts that where swirling round him.

He looked forward and saw everyone looking at him, awaiting the next step.