22.

Adam slowed the jeep down once he got to the gates to his estate.

He lowered his window, while a security man came to confirm he was the one occupying the jeep.

"Donald," Adam nodded at him. "It's me."

"I'm going to have to tell you to lower all the windows, Mr Adam," Donald said in a serious voice. Adam inwardly smiled as he did what Donald had asked.

Normally his jeep window was tinted so based on security purpose they had to be sure no one was holding him at gun-point in the back seat or anything like that.

Donald turned and nodded.

Ted got the positive signal and put in the password then the huge gates went open.

"Have a nice day sir," Donald said as he walked back to his post having affirmed the passenagers were the harmless kids.

Adam nodded at Ted as he drove past the other security house and soon he was zooming towards his house.

Soon Adam stopped in the driveway and all the kids got down before he then went to park in the garage.

The kids were waiting by the entrance for him and when he got to them; they all entered the house again, with all their bags. 

"Listen you guys," Adam started and they all turned to look at him.

"I believe what I said earlier about you all was very wrong, I apologize for it." Adam went on. "Also, I meant what I said in the jeep. You'll all be staying with me and I'll be your legal guardian but you all know I'm engaged to Vanessa Cortwell, and well...," he hesitated a bit.

"We've both decided not to have kids in our marriage so I cannot adopt you guys."

Reece wanted to say something but Adam raised his hand, silencing him.

"I'm getting married in six months time, until then you'll live with me in my house. But as soon as I get married, you can't stay here anymore. I'll have a house arranged for you all to be staying and stash it with everything you need. Mrs Mann can even be staying with you...I know she won't mind and I'll still check in on you guys from time to time because I'll still be your guardian," Adam explained.

He rubbed the back of his neck.

"Or...I dunno if you'd like that. But I can't let you return back to the streets, what do you think?"

Adam looked at them.

"You'd do that....for us?" Caleb asked with glistening eyes.

Adam smiled a bit. "Yeah, it's the least I can do," he replied.

"Thank you so much, sir," Lucy whispered in a cracked voice.

"You ain't going to be bothered if people start wondering why you're staying with five kids all of a sudden? You ain't going to mind your reputation going down?" Reece asked with an eyebrow raised.

"Reece!" Lucy called sharply.

"I just wanted to know. I'd hate to be a burden," Reece murmured, looking away.

Adam shrugged. "Well...who cares what anyone says?" he said with more boldness than what he actually felt. He actually didn't want to think about that because the thought would overwhelm him.

He didn't even have an idea on how to break the news to Vanessa.

"The bible says we shouldn't worry about tomorrow, right?" Matt asked in a small voice, not wanting to be kicked out.

Adam weakly smiled at him. "Yeah."

Then he heard a quiet whisper.

ARE YOU TIRED? WORN OUT? BURNED OUT ON RELIGION? COME TO ME. GET AWAY WITH ME AND YOU'LL YOUR LIFE. I'LL SHOW YOU HOW TO TAKE A REAL REST. WALK WITH ME— WATCH HOW I DO IT. LEARN THE UNFORCED RHYTHMS OF GRACE. I WON'T LAY ANYTHING HEAVY OR ILL-FITTING ON YOU. KEEP COMPANY WITH ME AND YOU'LL LEARN TO LIVE FREELY AND LIGHTLY.