Chapter 26: simple pranks?

I reach for the knob and slowly open the door allowing the strong smell to quickly engulf the short hallway. I slip my head through the crack and allow my eyes to adjust to the dark windowless room. Blood is painted on the walls and my bed is dyed red with it, feathers are strewed  around the room. On my bed is a poor gutted bird its wings cut by the tendons and its insides are thrown around soaking my sheets. I pick up the feeble body and examine the poor corpse. I had killed people before but something really bugged me when innocent animals are killed for no reason.

"Poor thing i didn't mean to get you mixed up with my problems."

I feel disturbed by the message that I received but didn't think much about it as I picked up the dead creature and tossed it overboard. I would've kept the meat but it had seemed like the poor thing was there overnight and had rotted away. I went back to the room and collected every feather that was left and placed them into a pillow case. Next I stripped my sheets and took in the huge stain on my mattress. I took a deep breath before thinking out loud.

"How the hell do i even start to clean this mess?" I stare a bit longer before i decide Cleaver might be my best option. I rush to the impharmary and find Cleaver going over an aray of plants and leaves picking them apart and debating on using them for whatever small project he was working on.

"Hey Cleaver do you have anything to get blood out of fabric. "

He turns around and looks me up and down before standing up and walking towards a cabinet and pulling out a big jar of white powder and a fizzy chemical and gave me direction on how to use them.

"Before i give this to you. What is it for?"

"I have a blood stain on my matress no worries ill take care of it." I wave at him as I make my escape and head back to my room.

I spend the rest of my time cleaning my bed and floor, when I couldn't scrub the stain anymore I gave up and flipped the mattress.

"Its not perfect but the smell is gone. Thats all that matters."

I plop down onto the the slightly damp matress and relaxed a bit, after a while i became concerned about the few valuables I had. I got up and frantically searched the room for a small chain necklace. I eventually found the small accessories in my dresser drawer covered up by some clothing. It was a small silver white ring with a blue sapphire stone and the ring itself had small writing engraved on it.

'I should keep this seeing how I'm a target right now.'

I stuff the small piece of jewelry into my pocket and finished putting everything back to normal, I quickly changed my clothes and brushed my hair back into a lose ponytail. I locked my door and made my way back to the dining room where everyone was already eating dinner.

I had found myself a spot towards the end of the table and started scarfing down my food when a familiar crew mate named Hunter approached me while I ate. We had worked together and traded shifts when necessary, he was about my age and had short brown hair with stubble all on his chin and neck. He took a seat across from me and started muching down on his food then started to interrupt my dinner.

"Hey do ya mind doing me a tiny favor? I need to trade shifts with ya."

He spoke with his mouth full but it wasn't terrible hard to understand his thick country accent.

"Id like to swap my morning shift with your night shift tonight."

"Thats odd i seem to have the better trade, most people don't want night shifts."

"Yeah but some of us are staying up tonight to party a bit and the shift I currently have is an early morning one. I'd appreciate it if you'd cover for me."