23: cut safety net.

Week 4

"What about you, Ada? Panera sound good?" Victor asked as he looked into the rearview mirror. He watched as Ada detached her eyes from the window, giving a small nod before returning her eyes to watch the cars go by as they drove.

Ada put her head against the car door, feeling sick to her stomach. She checked her phone to see if Cameron had texted her back, which she knew he didn't because he was most likely on set at that time. But, she felt a little hope every time she pressed her home button in case his name and a message was there, regardless of the twisted feeling she got whenever it just showed her lock screen and the time and date. Which was 80 % percent of the time. She looked forward to waking up to his good morning texts, and it felt like that small consistent detail satisfied her just a smidge. Knowing that he thought about her every morning made her feel good. Another week had gone by without him being able to call her, making it officially three weeks since they last facetimed and four weeks without him by her side.

And Ada didn't know if she'd make it another day if she didn't see his face.

______________________________

Cameron laid in bed, having just woken up from his alarm. He was going to spend a few minutes in bed on his phone before he was forced to get up and get ready for the day. He sent Ada his good morning text before he went to Instagram. Enjoying his scrolling through pictures and hearing the noise of the traffic below him, he stopped when he saw that his father posted something the night before.

He smiled when he saw it was Maya and Ada at their kitchen table with Libby standing over them, getting ready to sit down a tray of brownies. Maya had her hands thrown up into peace signs with one of her legs lifted up as she leaned in the seat. His eyebrows furrowed a bit when he noticed Ada's sullen facial expression. He liked the picture before scrolling to the comments, immediately chuckling at the one Taj left.

thevictorboyce: thanks to my sis @kamiey for giving us the recipe for vegan brownies 😁 Maya thanks you!

View all 134 comments

kamiey: anything for my favorite niece Maya Bo-baya ❣️ and what did y'all do to my baby Ada?
~tajspeights: prolly becuz they tryna feed her brownies made outta cauliflower
~thevictorboyce: Taj 😂
lisasp8s: 🤩 I want some! Ask Maya if she could spare just a tiny bit? Why does Ada look so sad?
~libbyboyce: Come over, we definitely have a lot to spare! And Ada's fine 💜
cameronmboyceforeva: they have another kid?
~camxjustin99: probably just one of maya's friends
~thevictorboyce: Not biologically ours, but she is like our daughter 🙂
laurynspeights: ooo vegan brownies!

He swiped back to the picture, looking closer at Ada. She looked... different. Her face looked fuller, especially in the cheek area. It made her look a bit older, finally matching her age because at first she looked 15 years old if you didn't already know her. Her hair was in a bun, and he noticed that she was wearing one of his shirts that he usually used for sleep clothes that he left behind. Her eyes were low, her mouth closed in a small pout as she looked toward the camera.

He knew he needed to find some time to call her, knowing it had been a while since they Facetimed. He figured it was time to try and make sure he fit in a time to actually call her and see if she was doing okay, so he planned to later that night.

______________________________

Libby smiled when she saw her phone start to ring, seeing Cameron's name flash on her screen before she answered.