BETTY | ONLY SEVENTEEN

"Betty" is the track which features the point of view of James who is a 17-year-old boy trying to apologize and ironically, I wrote this piece, "Only Seventeen" for people to imagine, "What if James was a poet?", "Will he ever find the right poeti...

"Betty" is the track which features the point of view of James who is a 17-year-old boy trying to apologize and ironically, I wrote this piece, "Only Seventeen" for people to imagine, "What if James was a poet?", "Will he ever find the right poetic words to apologize?". With those thoughts already in mind, I slowly took my time writing this particular piece because I wanted to capture the right emotions and details that entails to the character of James. This poem was the most I spent my time writing because of the number of times I left this piece half-finished. It was already a challenge to write a poem from the point of view of a male character, how much more if the character is only 17 years old?

Nevertheless - in spite of these challenges, I was able to overcome them and the piece was all worth it, as much as the rest of the poems on this compilation. It was fun, imagining James writing a poem for Betty because he can't find all the right words to speak in front of her – it may be a hint of old fashion apology but nevertheless romantic and beautiful to think about.

Poetry is luxury, so when one writes a poem for you, it is a priceless thing that one must cherish, because not everyone has a poem written about them and in my poetic mind, if James was a poet, Betty would take him back more for he'd be able to steal her heart back with those romantic and poetic lines. ;)

Artwork by Kaith

Artwork by Kaith