t h i r t y f i v e

edited 24aug21

• chapter 35: a bold seungmin

The last bell rang. I rushed to the infirmary with my bag messily hung on my shoulder. Some of my classmates were surprised when seeing that because usually I'd be the last to leave the class.

All of that don't matter now.

The door creaked open, revealing the school nurse. I told my name and she let me in to see Hyemi who was ready to leave. She handed me the coat she used before but I insisted her to tie it around her waist.

"You'll get cold."

"It's not cold." It is.

Hyemi sighed and tied it around her waist before thanking the nurse and walked out. I trailed behind her, not wanting to interfere with whatever she was thinking.

We walked in silence. After what happened today I don't think I'll let her walk around alone. She's still traumatised and needs someone to be with her.

As we were approaching her house, I stopped her. She gave me a tired look but if this is not settled soon, it will get worse.

"Chan hyung talked to me earlier."

She turned her body fully to me.

"We should tell your parents about this–"

"No." her eyes widening in horror as she shook her head. "No. Not them."

"Hyemi, listen." I tightened my grip on her wrist and pulled her closer. "We both know you don't get along well with them and they only care about your grades but believe me, they won't ignore your problems especially for things like this."

"How do you know?" her voice became firm. "How are you so confident they will hear me?"

"No parents will blame their child for getting touched."

"They won't listen!"

"Just try it!"

"What do you know about them? They only care for my grades, not my safety. Not even my brothers' safety. Not my happiness, not my sorrow. Just grades, academics and achievements in exams. And then you're saying they will care?"

"Are you getting worried because of that or because of what Jeonghoon did earlier?"

"Both!" she replied instantly. "They won't care, and Jeonghoon will still find me. Things will be just the same."

The two of us stood in silence. She was clearly on the verge of crying again but I don't want that. She had gone too much today.

"Will you let me if I talk to them?"

"What's the difference? The information is just the same, the only things changed is the person who tells them."

"That's the thing, Hyemi," I intertwined our fingers together. "People will always look to the person who talks. If they do not want to hear you, let me try. We don't know their perspective towards each of us."

She was silenced for awhile, looking into my eyes before sighing, "Why do you want to help me?"

"Because,"

This might be crazy but I think I like you.

Seeing you broke down in front of me a few times make me feel want to protect you.

Because I hate seeing you cry.

You're.. fragile.

"I want to, Hyemi. You're my friend and I started all of this. Jeonghoon targets you because you're the only girl who befriends with me this close. And I told you that you're my responsibility now, hm?"