Beach Baby

Your freckles were a lot more prominent lately, but that was always something that happened during this time of year when summer was quickly approaching. As much as you felt a little insecure by the the little marks that were dotted all over your body, it came hand in hand with the excitement of being able to do all of your favourite things that just felt better to do in summer.

You were a beach baby through and through. Growing up, you lived in the one house your whole life that was right by the beach and when your family went on holidays, it was always to a holiday house that was by another beach. You could swim before you could walk or talk. When you did learn how to walk, your parents realised they had to keep an extra close eye on you at the beach because you'd always run down to the waves, not realising the danger in your toddler years. When you watched The Little Mermaid for the first time, you begged your mother to turn you into a mermaid so you could live a life under the sea. When you were a kid getting picked up from school, your after school activity was going to the beach. Whenever the school swimming carnival rolled around, it was always you who got nominated to do the races. When you were a dramatic teenager and found out the boy you liked kissed someone else, you went to the beach and wrote his name in the sand just to watch it get washed away by the sea.

Your life had always involved the beach and you wouldn't have it any other way.

Whenever the idea of falling in love with someone popped into your mind, you always thought it would happen with the beach involved in some way. And there had been a few surfer boys you'd had flings with, but none stuck. They never really made an impact on you.

But Corpse had.

The two of you were an unlikely pairing, the absolute definition of opposites attract, but it worked.

You'd met at a mutual friends house by chance and there was an undeniable spark from that very first moment.

-

"Sitting under the moon is a lot better than the sun." The two of you had found yourselves in a light hearted argument that very first night. After getting introduced and realising there was a pull between you both, he had eventually grabbed your hand and brought you to come sit up on the rooftop with him.

"What? No way, dude." You shook your head and laughed, he was everything you weren't but all you wanted. "The moon is so pretty," You agreed with him, "but the sun makes you warm and it's so pretty when the sky is all blue with a couple of cute, white fluffy clouds. That's the perfect weather to be out and about."

"If you like going out and about."

"You don't like going outside?"

"Nah," Corpse hesitated, contemplating on how honest he should be with the girl he'd just met but was feeling so comfortable around. "I can't handle the world sometimes, you know?"

"Yeah, I get it. If someone came up to me and said you can spend your whole life under water as a mermaid but never be able to come back on land, I'd seriously consider."

"Even after meeting me?" The tone shifted back to the playful flirting and you were grateful for it.

"Shut up and admire your moon."

"I will, after all, the night sky is far superior." He was holding firm in his opinion.

"I think it's all really pretty." You said honestly, and it was the truth. You were just as hypnotised by a moonlit sky with stars sparkling as you were with a daytime sky.

"I think you're really pretty."

He'd had your heart from that moment.

-