Paint Wars Part 2

Things had been rough lately.

Real fucking rough.

You missed Corpse so much. You hadn't spoken to each other since that fight at his apartment and that was fifty-four days ago now, almost two thirds of a season you'd been without him.

"I miss you." You spoke aloud into the emptiness of your apartment, noting that the time on your phone now said 12:01am. It was officially now day fifty-five without speaking to him.

You swiped away all your notifications on your lock screen, ignoring everything and everyone that was trying to reach you right now so you could look at the person who was ignoring you. You wanted to look at the photo that was still your wallpaper. That first photo you'd ever taken together.

You went to change it on day thirty-eight of not speaking. On night thirty-seven of not speaking you'd gone out with your friends, they'd finally convinced you after a whole month of trying and you got absolutely wasted. So of course you'd called Corpse. But he didn't answer, not any of the fifteen times you'd called. So that next morning, when you woke up hungover and saw that same lock screen photo and not one response from him, you told yourself you were going to change it. You tried to tell yourself you were angry, but it was just a coping mechanism to ignore the hurt that had been tunnelling through your heart since being without him. You spent an hour scouring tumblr and twitter for some aesthetically pleasing lock screen, but you didn't save a single one. Nothing could compare to that photo of you and Corpse.

You then started to wonder if he'd listened to any of the voicemails you'd left the night before. You couldn't remember them exactly, but you knew you definitely left four of them and how badly you wanted to know if the curiosity became too much to bear and he'd listened to them.

And he had.

On night thirty-seven, while you were out drinking, Corpse was in a deep sleep. He hadn't been sleeping a whole lot lately, so finally, he'd crashed hard that night and slept through the calls you'd made to him. But even though he wasn't aware of the calls in his sleeping state, you were still present in his dreamland. Every adventure his brain took him on was with you, maybe it was something that kept him asleep, the fact that you were right there in this fantasy. You were talking to him again, he could see your smile, hear your laugh, reach out and grab your hand, he could kiss you again. It was happiness. But then he woke up and he went to reach out for you in his bed, still caught up in the false wonder his dreams had provided him, only to find it was just him and reality slapped him fully awake. You weren't there with him. You hadn't been for a number of weeks. He missed you.

On day thirty-eight, when he spotted the missed calls from you on his phone, he cursed himself for being asleep and missing it. But would he had answered had he been awake? He wasn't sure. So instead, he heard you speak to him for the first time in so long, even if it was through a voicemail you had left in the space of him not answering your calls.

"Oh, fuck- oh my god."

That was it. That was the first voicemail, there was a lot of background noise but he had heard you so clearly. In your drunken state, you didn't know what to say, so that's what you had left with him, until you called back and left another.

"Hi." You started it simple. He had the phone clutched so tightly in his hand, the device pressed so firmly against his ear, he didn't want to miss a word. "I- I don'know what to say." He noticed the slight slur to your words then, you were drunk when you had called. "I'm'a just go."

You hung up again, but alas, there was another.

"Can I just ask... are you ignoring me?" Your voice was so meek, his chest hurt at the sound of it. He almost went to say no, but this was a one sided conversation, he'd missed the opportunity. "I miss you." You hung up again, and he had to stop himself from replaying it over and over again to hear you say that you missed him.