Chapter 1

DAY 1

Jayme's POV

"That'll be $11.64, ma'am." The barista told me with a gentle smile. I paid for the drinks and put a few dollars in the tip jar before stepping to the side to wait. Like clockwork, I was grabbing one coffee and one hot chocolate before work. It didn't take long for my drinks to appear on the pick-up counter.

I work for a YouTube company called "Smosh" and I love my job, it pays well and my co-workers are great. I've been here ever since the company formed, I've been with them through every up and every down. Whether that was losing our parent company and almost disappearing or appearing and working with some big names like Chris Pratt. But the thing I love most is that the work I do brings joy to people. Sure, I'm not one of the people saying the jokes but I am the one making the jokes look easy. I also help produce and assist when they need another set of hands.

"'Jayme'?" She called out. I quickly picked up my drinks and wished them all a good day before leaving the shop. I hopped in my car and made my way to work, parking in the same spot I'd been parking in for years.

I walked in and smiled at the people I passed, greeting a few here and there. I walked into my office that I share with Courtney, one of the regular talents and also one of my greatest friends. She's one of the people that tell the jokes.

"Good morning!" I cheered with a smile before placing the coffee down on her desk. Her eyes light up at the sight.

"Have I told you how much I love you?" She thanked me with a huge smile and hug. We share a quick laugh before I sit down at my desk and pull up some videos to edit. I also pull up my notes from when they were recording where I wrote down things I wanted to keep and things I wanted to cut.

Courtney is the only talent I'm close to though, aside for Ian, the owner. Even though I work with all of the talents a lot, I don't talk to them much. I keep a professional relationship with them since I'm not that funny or energetic - I wouldn't fit in with their friend group no matter how much Courtney disagrees. Plus, my work comes first.

Just as Courtney and I were about to start our work, her phone started to vibrate harshly on her desk. She quickly picked it up, seeing someone was calling her.

"Hey, Kimmy!--What do you mean you can't make it?--But we leave tomorrow?!--I'll talk to Ian, okay? I'm sorry about your loss. If you need anything I'm here." She says into the phone.

Courtney places her phone back down and takes a deep breath. She takes a big swig of her coffee before grabbing the communication radio and pushing the side button. "Hey, Ian, can you come to mine and Jay's office for a sec?" She says into it.

"On my way." Ian responded through the radio.

"Everything okay?" I ask her, taking my hands off my keyboard and turning towards her. She looks at me and shakes her head sadly.

"Kimmy lost her grandma last night so she is going home for a while. Normally I wouldn't mind but she was supposed to shoot the Summer Games with us." Courtney tells me.

"Oh, no, that's horrible! But you've done uneven teams before... everything will be fine." I tried to reassure her.

After a moment or two, Courtney shoots up as if she's had a realization. "I think I have an idea! I may know someone who can fill her place!" She exclaims.

"Who?!" I ask.

Courtney looks at me with pleading eyes.

"No..." I start.

"Please!" Courtney begs me.

"I can't! I'm just an editor and assistant!" I exclaim. Plus, I had plans with my tv and wine for the next few weeks.