you have a child from a previous relationship

You sat on the floor of your five-year-old daughter, Lily, bedroom. Toys spread all across the floor, you tried to pass the time by letting her use her imagination while waiting for Rosie to arrive.

It's a big day. You've been dating Rosie for almost five months now and for the first time, she's meeting Lily. You've talked about her every chance you get so she knows everything about her at this point.

But you've held off on letting them meet until today. Your little girl has a habit of getting attached easily to people, especially since it's only been the two of you from day one; with the exception of your parents and close friends coming around. You didn't want to break her heart by having her meet someone who'd only end up leaving.

But you trust Rosé. She's different than the others and you've known that for a little while now. You're getting serious. Being on the same page about everything and falling head over heels in love with each other. If your emotions and the words of love didn't prove that, this day did.

The doorbell rang downstairs, a text on your phone coming from Rosé as she let you know that she was waiting. You took a deep breath and held your hand out for Lily to take.

"Come on. I have someone I want you to meet. I think you're gonna love her as much as I do."

You led her down the stairs and opened the door, finding your girlfriend staring at you adoringly.

"Hey!" She kissed your cheek and looked down at Lily and if possible, her smile grew as she saw her hugging your legs and looking up at her with big eyes. Rosie looked down at the stuffed bunny in her hand. You told her that it was her favorite animal and it warmed your heart to know that she remembered that.

"Hey, Lily. I'm Rosie. It's nice to meet you!" She said, smiling as she knelt on the floor slowly in front of the small girl. "Your mom says you love bunnies, so I brought one for you."

Lily snatched it excitedly from her and looked up at you before looking back at your girlfriend. She giggled and threw her arms around Rosé, happily thanking her as she hugged the bunny to her chest.

"You're welcome."

As Rosie walked inside, she felt tiny fingers wrap around her own. Looking down, Lily tugged at her hand and tried to pull her to the stairs causing Rosie to stumble and laugh.

"Oh! Where are we going?"

"She wants to show you her toys and her room."

Her heart felt warm as those words fell from your lips. You mentioned how she always loves to play with people she likes and the fact that she was tugging her up the stairs to show her around made her feel so happy.

You followed behind, laughing at your daughter's excitement.

She sat on the floor and made Rosé sit across from her. The stuffed bunny remained on her lap as she showed off her other toys, mentioning how you were spending time together before she came and how she wanted her to join in.

"I'd love that."

Your daughter's eyes lit up and became even brighter as you sat on the floor beside Rosé.

"Having fun so far?" You asked Rosie, hoping she'd say yes.

"Are you kidding?" She took your hand, squeezing it reassuringly. "I'm having so much fun. She's even more wonderful than you said she was. She's your little twin. From her looks to her laugh to her personality; she's just like you. I can tell she's your whole world."

"Yeah. I love her so much." You mumbled and laid your head on her shoulder, both of you watching Lily grab her favorite things and drop them down on the floor to play with. "She really likes you. Thank you for the bunny. I don't think she's ever gonna let it out of her sight."

She laughed and kissed your head before Lily started to talk her ear off excitedly, showing her all of her favorite toys and practically demanding her to play, too.

Time passed by, the hours going by so fast as the three of you spent time together. Soon, Lily was growing tired. You settled on the sofa with Lily sandwiched between the two of you. Her favorite film played and soon enough she was falling asleep, curled up on Rosie's lap.

"She's tired."

"You wore her out. Playing and having all those tea parties."

She giggled and watched you gently pick Lily up in your arms to carry her up the stairs. Her head fell to your shoulder, eyes opening from the sudden movement but closing again as the sleepy feeling hit. But they opened again upon realizing that Rose wasn't walking with you.

"No," she whined as you made your way to the stairs, her small hand reaching out for Rosie from across the room.

She took the hint and happily followed you up the stairs and to her room. You were careful not to stumble over her toys across the floor as you made your way to her bed and laid her down.

"My bunny," she whined and you handed it to her and Rosé felt indescribable happiness she's never felt before as she watched her hug the bunny to her chest and close her eyes.

"Goodnight, angel. Sleep well." You mumbled, kissing her head.

"Goodnight, honey." Rosie smiled and rubbed her arm before following you to the door.

"Come back tomorrow?" She asked as she sat up in her bed. "You'll come back?"

Rosie looked at you and watched you nod your head happily before she broke out in a big smile.

"Absolutely. Goodnight, little one. Have sweet dreams. I'll see you tomorrow."

Lily jumped out of bed and rushed over to hug her quickly before running back to bed and laying her head back on the pillow to fall asleep.

You left the door open a crack, her nightlight on like she likes.

Making your way back to the sofa with Rosé, your eyes started to swim with tears making your girlfriend go wide-eyed and worried.

"Y/n? What is it?"

You threw your arms around her and hugged her tight as a tear of happiness slid down your cheek.

"I really love you." You mumbled against her neck. "Not just because you treat me so well and love me more than anyone else has before, but because you make Lily so happy. She's the happiest I've seen her in so long. She really adores you."

"I adore her too. She's precious and fills my heart with so much joy, just like you do."

You dropped your head to her shoulder as she rubbed your back and held you close.

"Thank you for everything you did for us today. Don't take this the wrong way, because I'm excited to see you tomorrow, but I think she might be even more excited than I am."

"I'm excited too." She laughed, kissing your head. "I love you."

"I love you too." You whispered and kissed her neck lovingly.

You could see it now; she's the one.