it's gonna take some time (requested)

"Are you feeling okay?" You asked Rosie as you hugged her from behind.

She's been feeling sick lately. But it made perfect sense since you have a new little addition to your family on the way within the next few months.

"Yeah, I'm feeling pretty good today." She said and turned around to lay her head on your shoulder for a moment, basking in the happiness and comfort she feels in your embrace. "We have to go shopping later."

Lily seemed to perk up across the room. The cartoons she was watching as she played with her toys on the living room floor suddenly didn't seem to matter anymore.

She was rushing to the both of you with her stuffed bunny in her hand and hugged your legs, looking up at you with bright eyes when you stared down at her.

"Are you wanting to tag along with us, honey?" Rosé asked, kneeling on the floor in front of the small girl as carefully as she could.

"Yeah." She smiled and casually mentioned the toy she's been wanting. You just chuckled and brushed your fingers through her hair before saying,

"Not today. Another day. Today, we're just going shopping for your little sister who will be here in a few months."

Her smile faded and turned into a pout.

"Don't pout, please." You warned. "You can even help us pick things out for her."

"No!" She yelled and threw the bunny onto the floor. "Don't wanna!"

"Lily," you sighed heavily.

"No sister." She pouted and folded her arms angrily.

You frowned, unsure where this was all coming from. She was so excited when you surprised her with the news last month. She was talking about how much she already loved the baby, promising she'd be a great big sister.

But now, her attitude has seemed to change and Rosie seemed saddened by it.

"Don't want her!" Lily added in anger.

"Too bad." You answered and bent down on the floor in front of her, reaching over to tuck a lock of hair behind her ear that fell out of her ponytail.

"Honey, it's gonna be fun! You were so excited, remember? You should still be excited! There's so much you can do with her and so many adventures you can have together."

She continued to pout.

"We'll read her stories, sing her songs, play together. You can even share your toys with her. I'm sure she'll love that."

She seemed even more upset about it now at the mention of sharing her toys and her getting to hear the stories and songs you sing to her now.

"No!" She yelled loudly and then rushed up the stairs to her room, where she angrily slammed her bedroom door.

You and Rosie shared a worried look and you watched her eyes turn sad.

"She's mad at me." She spoke quietly and hung her head.

"It's okay. She'll adjust." You promised as you ran your hand along her back soothingly. "You go curl up on the sofa with something to eat and I'll be back in a few minutes."

She just shrugged her shoulders in sadness. The thought of Lily being upset with her, maybe even possibly growing to resent her because she's gonna bring her new little sister into the world in just a few months broke her heart.

They had such a strong bond before, practically attached at the hip. Now she feels like Lily wants nothing to do with her, like she's angry with her.