Forest Talks

Luz's POV

I ran.

Ran and ran and ran, and I didn't plan on looking back.

I didn't care about Lucia. I didn't care about Eda. I didn't care about mom. I just want to leave.

Tears fell as I ran into the woods, down a secret path only I knew of. I don't know really where it leads, actually. I've never gotten that far...I just know it's away from all of them.

While running, I realized how cold it was becoming. October nights get way colder than you realize, especially when all your wearing is a short sleeve hoodie and leggings.

The cold air I breathed in felt like it was freezing the inside of my lungs. My fingers and toes were cold to the bone as well.

I soon came to a big opening on the path. There was huge trees that surrounded me as I ran closer. But... even as I ran closer, I saw a dark figure approaching me farther up the path.

Who... or what is that?!

Who would be walking down this path this late and dark at night? I looked around, and found a good whacking stick to hit the thing with when they got close enough.

I took a deep breath, gripping into the stick like a baseball bat. Here we go.

"AAAAHHHH!" I cried out, charging towards the figure who had just noticed me. As I ran towards it, a voice screamed

"WAIT!"

I came to a screeching stop, almost falling on my butt.
"What the...?"
A light got flashed in my eyes as I came to a stop. I quickly put my hands up, trying to see who was shining the light at me through the brightness.

"Luz...?"

A familiar, soft voice spoke quietly, and the person lowered their flashlight so we could see each other in the light without being blinded.

In front of me stood a shaken up girl, with her green hair down, and a bit messed up. My eyes met with golden sun eyes... but, her eyes were a bit puffy and tired looking. Like she had just finished crying...

"A-Amity! I'm so sorry! A-are you... okay?" I took a step closer towards Amity, inspecting her face a bit more.

"Luz... yeah I'm okay. Are you?" Amity's voice still seemed shaky and scared. I felt a wave of concern wash over me in that moment.

"I'm fine. I'm fine." I sighed softly "Why are you out HERE this late? Isn't it kinda far away from your house? Why are you out here anyway?"

The young girl stood there quietly. She didn't answer any of my questions...no response.

All of the sudden she fell down onto me, hugging me tightly and hiding her face in my shoulder. It all happened so quickly, I couldn't comprehend what she did so I just...stood there. "Amity...?"

"I...I really messed up..."

The two of us stood there in silence for a long time, embracing each other as much as we could... soon, I felt water dripping on me and Amity. It was slow at first but then it really started coming down...

Rain.

"It's raining." I looked around for shelter from the rain. I spotted a hollowed out hole in a tree trunk that could probably fit the both of us. "Follow me, okay!"

I quickly led her to the hollowed out hole, crawling inside with her. Luckily there was no animal occupying it.

"Alright! This should keep us out of the rain for now..." I looked over at the girl, who was curled up in a ball, holding her knees close to her chest and looking down...