Chapter 18

Before I knew it, it was the end of November and chaos was fast approaching. Talk about the NEWTs which would take place in two weeks as well as the ball to follow after were all anyone could seem to talk about, and I felt that I had not appreciated my last few weeks of peace before the mayhem began.

The last couple of weeks had gone by in a blur of homework, quidditch (both games and a couple more of my own flying lessons), and free time spent with either Ginny and Hermione or Fred and George. The homework load had rapidly increased though, so there wasn't much free time to be used.

The school was buzzing with both nervousness for the tests and excitement for both the dance as well as christmas vacation when we would be able to go see our families again. Everyone was talking about who was going to ask who to the dance, and it helped to calm the tension of the upcoming finals of the current portion of the year.

I was currently about to leave with Hermione and Ginny to head down to Diagon Alley to go dress shopping for the Yule Ball to which I had no date. I didn't really need one, it's just that after their initial study date, Hermione and Ron had hung out a few more times which would probably lead to him asking her to the ball, and I knew that Ginny had been eying a few people as well. I sort of wanted a date to go with too.

"This is the place?" I asked Hermione as we approached a shop with a sign that just said 'Anne's'. It was a little shop with one naked mannequin and another with a simple black dress on in the display window. The store was small and looked to be a little old, seeming to be a simple tailor or boutique. It looked really cute, but I couldn't believe that a shop this small could produce so many customers and good reviews.

"Yep," she responded before walking over towards the door to walk in in front of Ginny and me.

"Anne is actually one of my mothers good friends," Ginny informed me right before we entered. "I promise her dresses are amazing. I don't know how she does it, maybe some kind of magic".

I nodded and walked in, and my eyes lit up once I looked at the interior of the shop and all of the dresses that were displayed within it. Ginny had not been lying when she said that the dresses were amazing - I wasn't quite sure what was so great about them, but every single beautiful dress that was on display in the shop was elegant in a subtle way. All of the dresses were classy enough to wear to a ball, but they were toned down. A lot of the dresses were made of silk, and I just wanted to go around and touch every single one of them because they all looked so soft.

"Merlin," I muttered.

"I know," Ginny said back while we began to walk around the store to look at different gowns.

"How much are these?" I asked, realising that dresses this good couldn't be cheap.

"They're pretty expensive but we get a discount because of my mum".

"No way," I said in disbelief.

Hermione walked over to us from where she was eying a red dress and said, "Well? Let's start trying them on!".

We grabbed a few dresses, most of mine made of silk because I couldn't get over how elegant it looked. I grabbed a few different lengths and colors, but most of the ones that I chose were green. Ginny and Hermione had made their picks as well, and we decided that because we had plenty of time we wanted to do a little fashion show like they did in the muggle movies.

"Okay, 'Ginny, you first," I said while pushing her into the dressing room with her dresses.

There was a little area in the back of the store with a couch and a couple of chairs that stood in front of a changing area covered by a velvet curtain. Hermione and I both sat on the couch and waited excitedly for Ginny to show us her first dress.