Chapter 23

"Harry," that Seamus guy suddenly stops Harry as he walks in the great hall. They have come back to Hogwarts after their Christmas and new year holiday.

"I er...I wanted to apologize." He says guiltily. "Now even my mum says the Prophet's version if things don't add up. So...What I'm really trying to say is that I believe you."

Jessie rolls her eye right away seeing him apologize as she enters the great hall after the trio. Look who's embarrassed now. He doesn't really think whether he believes or not matters to Harry does he?

"Dumbledore warned Fudge this could happen." Hermione says to Harry anxiously right after Jessie's sat down. "He's gonna get us killed just because he can't face the truth."

"What?" Jessie asks, looking at the serious-looking Gryffindors

"Haven't you heard of the news?" Hermione says with a sigh. Hearing their conversation, Neville passes Jessie the newspaper he was reading.

"Mass breakout from Azkaban"

"....major ecapees include Bellatrix Lestrange...

Other escapees:
...Athena Moreau."

Jessie's soul has left her body for a second.

She stares at the word and quickly looks away. This can't be true... Is this the power of birthday wishes? She can't regret more for making that wish. Fear does attract fear.

"...You're alright?" George gently pinches Jessie's waist seeing her breathe slightly faster.
"Of course." She says tensely. Things indeed will not be alright. Now she just needs to pray that her mum willl not come for her, though she shouldn't know where she's been.

There's suddenly an owl flying by, dropping Jessie a pile of letter.
Picking them up, she realises that they are all the letters she's sent to Augustus last year, completely sealed.

Not only does Augustus refuses to write her letters, but he also refuses to read her letters.
He can't accept her not being with him so badly that both writing to her and hearing from her without the chance to see each other's faces is too depressing, Sadly, this is torturing Jessie so much without the chance of even knowing how he's been doing. She didn't expect he would rather completely forget Jessie instead of hearing from her without meeting. Jessie's is so frustrated with him being that stubborn, it's kind of a selfish act because he surely knows she misses him.

She sighs with great disappointment. Everyone does not dare to ask her about it. George tries to comfort her by grabbing her waist but then is gently pushed away by Jessie. Looks like she's unapproachably frustrated. Seeing that, Fred instantly smirks at George. It's really rare seeing her having a bad temper.

"We can go find him in the holidays." George gently squeezes her face.
"He won't even read them." She frustratedly stares at the letters.
"He won't want to see me unless I'm not leaving, stubborn man." Although she understands how he feels, she's angry about him not thinking about how she actually feels."Fine, I won't write to him ever again." She says and puts away the letters.

"Jessie Kenwood," a boy suddenly walks to her, "Um...Dumbledore wants to see you."
Harry instantly looks at Jessie, why would Dumbledore talk to her but not him? He clearly doesn't understand why Dumbledore has been avoiding him.

"Oh okay, thanks." She's about to leave after drinking her last sip of tea, but then realises this boy is still staring at her.

"Dumbledore right? Is there anything else?" She freezes and asks him, who then suddenly runs away without speaking.

Ron at this moment holds his laugh back with all his strength out of reasons she doesn't know.
"...What is it Ron?"
"You have no idea how famous you are among the first years, Jess." He grins while looking at Harry, who then grins back as he realises what he was thinking.

"...What the hell?"
"They've been talking about you."
"... About what??"
"...You being attractive?" Ron then bursts out of laughter, which then triggers Jessie's grin. She finds it funny when Ron clearly does not find her attractive.

"What... this is so funny." She glances at the first years, they really seem to be discussing about her.
George suddenly looks at her.
"You're not actually being happy over this right?"

She smirks and looks at George.
"...What?" George asks.
"...Are you jealous?" She whispers to him so he won't be embarrassed.
"Mate why would I need to be?" Of course he wouldn't admit it, "first years they are, think about what it implies."

"I thought everyone will be happy when people find themselves attractive." She giggles and explains her emotion she had just now.
"It must be thrilling if 11 year olds think you're attractive."

"...Alright then, bye." She smiles then walks away after seeing his face for a second. She isn't disappointed, but hearing that won't make her happy either at some point, maybe it's just kinda not funny.

"Mate, you've totally failed it." Fred pushes George's head after Jessie's gone.

"You're such a jerk." Ginny hits his arm.

"Way too disappointing George." Hermione shakes her head.

"What..." George has his eyes wide open. How is everyone so unsatisfied??

"Can't believe you're saying this to her. She's been so nice to you. " Ginny rolls her eyes.
There's nothing wrong with the joke actually, but they all know well they will feel bad for upsetting her. There's probably no one else being this happy over such small things. It can be quite disappointing for her whose little happiness is extinguished completely.

Realising this, George looks at Jessie's back. She wouldn't think he meant it would she?