Chapter Fifty Two

Upstate New York, 2023, minutes later

"You could not live with your own failure. And where did that bring you? Back to me." Alex heard Thanos' loud, yet calm, voice speak as she flew out of the rubble. "I thought by eliminating half of life, the other half would thrive. But you've shown me that's impossible. And as long as there are those that remember what was, there will always be those that are unable to accept what can be. They will resist."

"Yep. We're all kinds of stubborn." Tony spoke as she landed behind three of the original Avengers. The man stood in the middle with Steve on his right and Thor on his left.

"I'm thankful. Because now, I know what I must do. I will shred this universe down to its last atom. "He stated as he slowly stood from his seated position. He moved towards his large sword and helmet, grabbing the latter and slipping it over his head. "And then– With the stones you've collected for me, create a new one. Teeming with life, but knows not what it has lost but only what it has been given. A grateful universe."

"Born out of blood." Steve spoke as Thor conjured lighting to surround his hammer and axe.

"They'll never know it." The purple giant paused as he looked around at the four Avengers. "Because you won't be alive to tell them."

With a battle cry from Thor, the fighting started. The god ran forward with his weapons wielded. Tony used his suit to jump into the air as Steve uses his shield to hit wherever he could reach on the purple giant. Alex stand back, away from the group as her magic flexes uncontrollably. Every so often the blonde had managed to gain control and throw a little ball of purple wisp at the giant that was fighting off the three men.

"Okay, Thor. Hit me." Tony say as he lands a few yards away from Thanos who was spinning his double sided sword. The back of Tony's suit opened up as Thor banged his axe and hammer together to direct his lightning at Tony.

Tony's suit absorbed up the energy and he shot it out using his hands and his suit. Thanos twirls his blade quickly to reflect the energy. One of the many beams of energy shot out towards Alex who was then thrown backwards by the force. She groaned from the impact, rolling over to narrowly miss another beam. Thor grabs Stormbreaker and uses it as a bat, hitting his hammer to hit Thanos. Thanos uses Tony as a shield resulting in damage to his system.

Steve runs up to the Thanos and tries to attack him but is easily thrown to the side. Alex take a few deep breathe as she turns her head to look at the super soldier who landed not far from her. Thor runs to attack Thanos, ducking and sliding along the ground to avoid being hit by the sword the titan threw his way. Thor swings his axe at the purple titan only for the his sword to swing back into Thanos' hand and block the attack. Thor uses the momentum from the block to shove Thanos' sword away from him. The purple giant grabs Thor around his neck swinging and punching him into rubble.

Thor tries to grab Stormbreaker but Thanos grabs it and uses it against Thor as he tries to defend himself. Alex watches as she slowly rises from the ground, fighting to control and contain the unknown magic surges. She looks to her right to see Thor's hammer laying beside her. As quickly as she can, she rushes over to grab it. Lifting the hammer off the ground, she then rushes towards Steve who is slowly trying the regain balance.

"Come on, Steve." she muttered quietly, grabbing the mans bicep to help him stand before thrusting the hammer into his hands. "Take this."

"You can lift it?" Steve asked surprised.

"Don't sound so surprised Steve." Alex joked. "Its rules are weird. I don't quite understand them myself. Go help Thor."

"Why can't you do it?"

"No time to explain." She answered as her power flexed uncontrollably again. Steve took one look at the purple wisp that surrounded Alex before nodding in understanding.

Steve suddenly threw Mjolnir, watching as it flies into Thanos, zooms past, stops, and flies back, both look on in amazement as the soldier catches the the hammer.

"I knew it!" Thor exclaimed before Thanos sent a kick to his head. The giant turns around ready to charge at Steve who know holds both his shield and the hammer.

Steve proceeds to charge at Thanos swinging Mjolnir and hitting Thanos in the face knocking him down. Steve throws his shield and Thanos deflects, Steve throws the hammer at his shield creating a shockwave and knocking Thanos off his feet. With Thanos on his knees, Steve runs forward aiming his knees at Thanos' chest. He then throws his shield first at Thanos and quickly hitting it back at him again with Mjolnir. He lines his arm back up and underarms a channel of lightning on Thanos.

Thanos eventually gets the upper hand, he removes his helmet, stabbing Steve in the leg and knocks Mjolnir out of his hand. Thanos proceed to destroy Steve's shield with his double-bladed sword and throws him across the battlefield.

With Steve now out of the way, Thanos turns his head towards Alex. Unlike the others, Alex didn't run at him to engage in a physical fight. She knew she would never be able to win, not with what little strength remained in her. Instead she gather what little of her magic she could control and threw it at him. He deflected most of the energy balls she threw at him. Her magic flexed and weakened as it floated around small pieces of debris before strengthening again. She threw the debris at him in hopes of weakening him, even if it was just the smallest amount. She was quickly over powered, however as he stalked towards her before flicking her away as if she weighed nothing. She groaned from impact, rolling over onto her side.

"In all my years of conquest– violence– slaughter– It was never personal. But I'll tell you now– what I'm about to do to your stubborn, annoying little planet– I'm gonna enjoy it. Very, very much." The giant spoke as he looked around at the four heroes that laid tiredly in the rubble.

Thanos' summoned his entire army to the ground. Upon seeing the army descending on Earth, Alex slowly got back to her feet. With a fierce determination, Steve tightens his broken shield to his arm and stands against Thanos' giant army alone with only Alex at his side. Suddenly, a crackling comes in on their communicator.