Chapter Thirty One

Upstate New York, 2016, minutes later

"Secretary Ross has a Congressional Medal of Honor, which is one more than you have," Rhodey argued to Sam as they gathered in a seating area near the kitchen.

Steve sat quietly in front of them reading over the accords. Natasha sat on a couch perpendicular to Steve, watching the two men. Alex stood, stiff, staring out a window. Tony was slouched on a couch with a hand covering his face. Wanda and Vision sat across from Natasha quietly watching as well.

"So let's say we agree to this thing. How long is it gonna be before they LoJack us like a bunch of common criminals," Sam fired back.

"117 countries want to sign this. 117, Sam, and you're just like, 'No, that's cool. We got it.'."

"How long are you going to play both sides," Sam questioned.

"I have an equation," Vision spoke from his spot, quieting the two men.

"Oh, this will clear it up," Sam stated, sarcastically.

"In the eight years since Mr. Stark announced himself as Iron Man, the number of known enhanced persons has grown exponentially. And during the same period, the number of potentially world-ending events has risen at a commensurate rate," The android informed the group.

"Are you saying it's our fault," Steve questioned as he sat the book down.

"I'm saying there may be a causality. Our very strength invites challenge. Challenge incites conflict. And conflict...breeds catastrophe. Oversight...oversight is not an idea that can be dismissed out of hand."

"Boom," Rhodey said as he turned to Sam.

"Tony. You are being uncharacteristically non-hyper-verbal," Natasha spoke and Tony removed his hand to look at her. Alex listened to the conversation but never once showed that she was paying attention.

"It's because he's already made up his mind," Steve informed with a look of disappointment.

"Boy, you know me so well," Tony answered as he sat up. He winced, rubbing the back of his head before speaking again. "Actually, I'm nursing an electromagnetic headache. That's what's going on, Cap. It's just pain. It's discomfort. Who's putting coffee grounds in the disposal? Am I running a bed and breakfast for a biker gang?"

He pauses for a moment before he puts his phone in a basket and taps it. The phone projects an image of a smiling young man. He looks down, then back up, and pretends to notice the picture for the first time.

"Oh, that's Charles Spencer, by the way. He's a great kid. Computer engineering degree, 3.6 GPA. Had a floor-level gig at Intel planned for the fall. But first, he wanted to put a few miles on his soul, before he parked it behind a desk. See the world. Maybe be of service. Charlie didn't want to go to Vegas or Fort Lauderdale, which is what I would do. He didn't go to Paris or Amsterdam, which sounds fun. He decided to spend his summer building sustainable housing for the poor. Guess where, Sokovia." Alex turned to glance at the projection before looking back out the window. The others look looked hurt by Tony's words. "He wanted to make a difference, I suppose. I mean, we won't know because we dropped a building on him while we were kicking ass. There's no decision-making process here. We need to be put in check! Whatever form that takes, I'm game. If we can't accept limitations, if we're boundary-less, we're no better than the bad guys."

"Tony, someone dies on your watch, you don't give up," Steve tried to argue.

"Who said we're giving up," Tony questioned.

"We are if we're not taking responsibility for our actions. This document just shifts the blames," Steve continued to argue.

"I'm sorry. Steve. That - that is dangerously arrogant. This is the United Nations we're talking about. It's not the World Security Council, it's not SHIELD, it's not HYDRA." It was Rhodey who argued back.

"No, but it's run by people with agendas, and agendas change."

"That's good. That's why I'm here. When I realized what my weapons were capable of in the wrong hands, I shut it down and stop manufacturing," Tony informed walking back to the group.

"Tony, you chose to do that. If we sign this, we surrender our right to choose. What if this panel sends us somewhere we don't think we should go? What if there is somewhere we need to go, and they don't let us? We may not be perfect, but the safest hands are still our own." Steve was now looking up at Tony.

"If we don't do this now, it's gonna be done to us later. That's the fact. That won't be pretty," Tony stated.

"You're saying they'll come for me," Wanda spoke softly. Alex took a deep breath and rolled her head back before looking out the window again.

"We would protect you," Vision informed, trying to bring the girl comfort.

"Maybe Tony's right," Natasha spoke, shocking everyone. "If we have one hand on the wheel, we can still steer. If we take it off-"

"Aren't you the same woman who told the government to kiss her ass a few years ago," Sam questioned, cutting her off.

"I'm just...I'm reading the terrain. We have made...some very public mistakes. We need to win their trust back," Natasha tried to explain.

"Focus up. I'm sorry, did I just mishear you or did you agree with me," Tony asked, still shocked.

"Oh, I want to take it back now."

"No, no, no. You can't retract it. Thank you. Unprecedented. Okay, case closed--I win," Tony said before Steve's phone buzzed, and he pulls it out to check it. He read the message before standing up.

"I have to go," He said quickly while walking out. The group quietly watched as Steve left before turning back to face each other.

"What about you, Alex? If anyone is being uncharacteristically quiet then I would say it's you," Tony questioned the girl who hadn't moved from her spot at the window. Natasha slowly stood up and walked toward the girl.

"I'm contemplating," She answered as she turned around to wrap her arms around Natasha.

"It's quite obvious which side to choose, don't you think," Tony questioned, his ego shining through.

"No, Tony, it isn't. If we sign the accords then we are signing up to be controlled. I've been under someone else's control my whole life until about four years ago. I don't want to be under someone else's control again," Alex bitterly stated. The group was silent all except for Tony.

"This isn't Hydra, Alex-"

"No, but they could very well turn out to be like them," Alex removed her arms from Natasha and walked out of the room.

She moved towards the room that she and Natasha shared. Her mind was clouded with a thousand different thoughts. She barely noticed Bailey standing outside her door.

"Hey, I was wondering if we could-" Bailey cut herself off when she saw the look in Alex's eyes. "Are you okay?"

"Yeah, I'm fine." Alex brushes off the girl's concern as she walked into her room. "What did you want?"

"Oh, uh, nothing. It's fine. It can wait for a better time," Bailey answered as she started to walk out of the room.

"Bailey," Alex said in her strong, sister-like voice. "What did you want?"

"I, uh, wanted to know if maybe you want to train with me," Bailey asked as she looked at her hands. "If now isn't a great time then we could do it later. Or if you don't want to-"

"Yes, Bailey. Of course, I will train with you. You don't have to ask," Alex said as she stood up. "Get change then meet me in the gym in ten minutes."

"Yeah. Okay, great. Thanks."