Chapter Fourteen

Washington D.C., 2014, early the next day

Alex was now leaning against Bailey's side as they stood at a home doorstep. She had woken up about 20 minutes ago but her body was still drained. Steve knocked on the door and a dark-skinned man slide the door open.

"Hey, man," He said looking at the four.

"I'm sorry about this. We need a place to lay low," Steve explained.

"Everyone we know is trying to kill us," Natasha explained further.

"Not everyone," He answered as he moved out of the way to let them in. He noticed Bailey struggling to hold up Alex and decide to pick her up. "Here, give her to me."

"Thank you," Bailey said as he followed him into his living room. He laid Alex on the couch before leading the others to a guest bedroom. When he finished showing them to the bedroom, Bailey went back to sit beside Alex.

Sam stood leaning against the doorway to the living room. He watched as Bailey kept her eyes fixed on Alex's sleeping form.

"Is she your sister," Sam asked walking forward into the living room.

"No, she just gives me a place to live," Bailey answered not moving her eyes away from Alex.

"But you still care about her," Sam further evaluated.

"Of course I do. She gave me a place to live, food to eat, someone to rely on." Bailey thought back on the time she and Alex have spent together.

"The showers open, if you want to take one," Sam informed her before walking into his kitchen.

An hour had passed and Alex had woken up and was moving around. She was now sitting in the kitchen eating the breakfast that Sam had made. Bailey sat beside her as Steve and Natasha walked in. They sat in silence as they ate breakfast.

"So, the question is: who in S.H.I.E.L.D. could launch a domestic missile strike," Natasha asked as she leaned against the table.

"Pierce," Steve answered.

"Who happens to be sitting on top of the most secure building in the world," Alex informed. Steve and Natasha looked at her in confusion. "What? I do my research."

"But he's not working alone, Zola's algorithm was on the Lemurian Star," Steve continued.

"So was Jasper Sitwell," Natasha stated.

"So, the real question is: how do the two most wanted people in Washington kidnap a S.H.I.E.L.D. officer in broad daylight?"

"The answer is: you don't," Sam said as he dropped a file in front of Steve.

"What's this," Steve asked picking it up.

"Call it a resume," Sam answered. Natasha picks up a photo of Sam with his para-rescue team. She passed the picture to Alex who took it a studied it.

"Is this Bakhmala? The Khalid Khandil mission, that was you. You didn't say he was a para-rescue," Natasha asked before turning to Steve.

"Is this Riley," Steve asked looking at Sam.

"Yeah," Sam answered shortly.

"I heard they couldn't bring in the choppers because of the RPGs. What did you use, a stealth chute," Natasha asked as she remembered the mission.

"No. These". Sam handed Steve the file. Steve opened the file and started to read it.

"I thought you said you were a pilot," Steve asked as he looked at the winged machine.