I've Come A Long Way- Sophie & The Foster Family

Word count: ~1100 words

This is a songfic for Jyc Row's Going Far (which I've been in love with since I first heard it). And well, it just seems like a nice way to see just how far Sophie has come during her life. And I was feeling in a Foster Family mood, so. I changed a few lines in the song itself, just to make it more accurate.

Song lyrics in italics, but there also flashbacks. The dialogue in those are in italics, but they'll also have quotation marks, so just know they aren't part of the song

It's hard finding hope among the hopeless,
Sometimes it feels like wasted time.
A house of cards and now you're homeless,
But all you remember is the climb.

Sophie's head ached from all the thoughts that bombarded her mind. Every little detail, the opinions that people shared were like knives that stabbed her brain.

Her family was the reprieve from all that pain, she loved them so much, even if they did have negative thoughts sometimes. She knew that they truly cared for her, they would give the world for her.

But as a telepath, as someone with strange powers like hers, as someone who didn't even look like her family, she would always be someone other. When Fitz found her, her entire world changed, her entire viewpoint collapsed like a house of cards.

She wasn't Sophie Foster the human, she was Sophie Foster the elf, the moonlark who would help the Lost Cities with her knowledge. Everything that happened ever since she went to the Lost Cities was like a whirlwind, so many battles were fought and countless secrets were unveiled.

Sophie had to fight for her life, she had to fight for her friends, so sometimes, she didn't always have the time to think about her human family.

It's hard to know where I might be,
If I hadn't left you three that day.
Who I would become or what I'd see,
What advice you'd give me to lead the way.

It didn't mean that she didn't miss them, she missed them with every fibre of her being. After all, they were the ones who'd raised her for twelve years, she had twelve years' worth of memories with them.

She loved the Lost Cities. She loved her parents. Grady and Edaline were sweet and fun, and they showered her with so much love. But she still missed her old family. They were the ones that she'd grown up with, she had years and years of memories with them.

They were the ones that had raised her, took care of her, kept her safe, especially after she'd manifested. They weren't able to understand her constant headaches or her rapidly rising grades in school, but they had accepted her as their daughter.

Without them and their praises, without them and their guidance, she would have never made it as far as she did now.

But it's not hard to feel proud of who we are.
You've raised a daughter that's going far.

They raised a daughter who was strong, kind and courageous. With that same courage, Sophie made every step with the values they'd instilled in her.

Sophie Foster was the moonlark, and she was going to make things right.

Cause I know that,
If home is where the heart is, it's wherever I roam.
Cause I know that with the stars above I'll never feel alone.

During those rare peaceful hours, when her mind was idle, she often thought about her family. Were they okay? Were they happy? She'd curl under the blankets and watch over them with her spyball. While Sophie was the one doing the watching, her family were like the stars; distant, out of reach, but always present. She could always look to them and know that they were there.

I shine as bright as them in every way I've grown.
And I know that those who've come and gone are proud of what I've shown.

"I hope you're proud of me," Sophie whispered to the spyball. "I love you."

You taught me how to keep my head up to the skies,
You taught me how to not be afraid.
You're always teaching me, even to this day,
From stories that'll never fade away.

"One step at a time," her mother would say, every time Sophie tried learning a new activity. "It's okay if you fall. Just try and stand up afterwards, okay?"

"It's normal if you're afraid," her father would say. "I know I would be. It's stupid and unrealistic to try and have no fear at all. Try to keep pushing through, that's the most important thing. I know up can do it, so believe in yourself. I believe in you, Soybean."

Sophie smiled at the nickname that she'd always hated as a child.

I wonder if you can see me now,
If you do does every step fill you up with pride?
I know that if you did, I'd never ask myself,
If these feelings are your voice speaking inside.

One step at a time, Sophie kept pushing herself. One step at a time, she made her moves, stood up against the Neverseen. Just like they said, even after she made a mistake, she kept on going. She had so many reasons to be afraid, but she didn't let them chain her down.

Her parents had felt that Sophie would be able to accomplish many great things, though- Sophie grinned wryly- she was sure that saving the world wasn't what they'd expected.

If they could see her now, if they could see the strong person that she'd become now, she was sure that they'd be proud of her.

But it's not hard to feel proud of who we are.
You've raised a daughter that's going far.

She'd changed a lot over the past few years in the Lost Cities, she'd already come so far. She'd unveiled so many horrible secrets, and she would continue to do so, until so many of the issues she'd found in the "perfect world" were corrected. She'd come so far, and she had longer to go until she'd reach that point.

Cause I know that,
If home is where the heart is, it's wherever I roam.
Cause I know that with the stars above I'll never feel alone.
I shine as bright as them in every way I've grown.
And I know that those who've come and gone are proud of what I've shown .

She was the moonlark, shining bright wherever she went. She had her family with her, whether they were aware of it or not. With each step she made, she would continue to make them proud.

Cause I'm a product of the love you made,
And with every breath I take you'll never fade.
I swear to the skies I'll never let you down,
Though I miss you so much I will never wear that frown.

Sophie smiled longingly at the display of her family, touching the spyball as if it would allow her to reach her family. She missed them so much her heart ached, but she used that as another reason to keep going. One day, she'd make sure that the relationship between humans and elves would be repaired. Then, she'd be able to see her family again.