Our Very Own Melody- Kam

Word count: ~5200 words

I kept missing all the kotlc ship weeks on tumblr ugh. Good news, I found out early this time! And there was a prompt I've been wanting to write for a while, and it happens to fit in this!

The prompt was flowers/soulmates, and I chose the latter. In this story, when soulmates grow close with each other, a mental bond develops. Its kinda like telepathy, but also empathy at the same time? It was part of the prompt I had found.

Anyways, it's another human au. Starts off in high-school, but also focuses on them as adults. It was only going to be the adult part, but when writing the backstory for their initial relationship, I ended up being super invested, so the adult part was cut short. This is actually my longest oneshot yet! I can't believe I wrote hecking 5k words.

Anyways, fluff and angst, here we go!

Keefe Sencen loved having a soulmate. He loved having someone who could just understand him. He'd grown up deprived of the love that he so desperately needed. All he had wanted was someone he could talk to without having to hide himself.

Then came his soulmate. He'd met Tam Song in high school, he was a boy who either sat alone or stuck by the side of his sister. He always wore earbuds, and that, combined with his less than stellar attitude made him less than approachable.

Though despite the fact that he kept himself distant, the black haired boy had joined a club. The club was the strings ensemble, which also happened to be one of the clubs that Keefe was in. It was there he learned that Tam played the violin just like him, and he played it passionately. He was also incredibly skilled, but Keefe would have never told him that.

Being the two best violin players in the ensemble, they'd interacted a lot. It lead to them clashing constantly, a competition to see who could learn a song faster, or who would make less mistakes. Anyone around them would have admired their enthusiasm to play, and when they had to play a duet, they were always mindful of each other, never trying to drown the other out.

Their competition didn't end there though, it had started to extend to outside of the club too. The both of them had went out of their way to learn a variety of new songs, just so they could play it to each other. They would bask in the feeling of seeing the other in awe of their playing skills. And when it was their turn to listen, listen they did, admiring the fluidity of the of the bow's movements. Or just the sound of each individual note, politely offering constructive criticism whenever there was an improvement that could be made.

"Keefe," Fitz said. "Do you like Tam?"

"Bangs Boy?" He had scoffed. "You think I like him?"

"You spend a lot of time with him," Fitz pointed out. "You're what... serenading him every month?"

"S- serenade?" He spluttered. "I am not serenading and trying to woo him!"

"Then what is going on?"

"It's a competition," Keefe explained. "I'm proving that I'm the superior violinist. I'm just trying to get him to acknowledge it."

Fitz raised an eyebrow. "Why does it matter if he says that you're better?"

For once, Keefe had been unable to reply. Because it didn't matter, did it?

All this had happened in their first year of high school. Even after, they continued to learn new songs, ready to play with for the other. In their third year of high school, they ended up in the same strings class. Their class had received a project where they would have to create a song and perform it in front of class. Everybody had to work in a pair, and their teacher had assigned them as a pair.