Just One More Chance- Bianuca

Word count: ~1400 words

Alrighty! I don't ship these two that much tbh (most likely because idk anything about maruca), but there's a bianuca ship week going on in the Tumblr side of the fandom, and I felt pretty inspired looking at the prompt for day 2, dance (the dancing pretty minor though)

Warnings: mentions of homophobia (internalized and not)

Maruca looked at the mirror in front of her. In her reflection, she could see herself in a dress and mask, smiling and looking pretty. Yet, despite finding herself looking good, it didn't feel right. She didn't want to be standing here, waiting to be called down for her Winnowing Gala. She didn't want to dress up for all the boys, but there wasn't much she could do now.

(It was better than wallowing in her own feelings.)

As she finally tore her gaze away from the mirror, she was called down. With as much grace as she could muster, she elegantly left her room and began to walk down the stairs, lights focusing on her slow descent. Despite that all her suitors-she winced internally at the word-wore masks, she could tell that all eyes were on her.

(She could also tell that none were the eyes of the person she loved. It wasn't like that person wanted to be with her anyway.)

Her parents made some kind of introductory speech, but she could hardly hear them. Every sound went in one ear and out the next until suddenly she was asked to go mingle with the guests.

She didn't know if it was a blessing or a curse that all the suitors wore masks. On one hand, it made her not know who anyone was. On the other, not knowing who anyone was made it less personal, she could imagine a face behind the mask, with glittering teal eyes-

No. Now was not the time to be thinking of this.

Eventually, she picked the person who was nearest to her to socialize with. She only talked half-heartedly, mainly nodding and humming along to what he was saying.

"You're not interested, are you?" the boy that Maruca was with asked.

She smiled nervously. "Was it that obvious?"

"Yeah, it was. Is your crush not on your list?"

She could never be on my list, and even then, it's not like she wants me.

"No, unfortunately," she replied.

"Well, I wish you luck."

"Thank you."

I'd need more than luck to be with her now.

Maruca looked around, wondering who to talk to next. Her parents wouldn't really want her to stand around and do nothing, but she didn't really want to do anything. If only there was a friend here, but then again, this was a Winnowing Gala, the people here were interested in her. Romantically.

She suppressed a sigh and began looking around again, and someone caught her eye. He wore a regal suit and mask just like everyone else did, but there was something... more put together about the way he dressed? Teal accents made him stand out a little more than the rest.

Now, Maruca wasn't attracted to guys, but objectively, he looked nice. Or at the very least, he had a good sense of fashion. Each step he took was precise and controlled, his posture straight. He walked as if he owned the room.

Hope he's okay to talk to, she thought, then made her way towards him.

"Hey," she said, and he turned around quickly-too quickly, he nearly lost his balance but Maruca caught him before he could fall over.