XXV - Oh Brother

The rest of the travel goes without issue.

Mostly.

'At least we didn't have a huge fight,' Russia thinks as he drives.

The closer he drives to the base, the more nervous he gets. Sure, Dixie isn't a country anymore, never was really, but Russia couldn't help but feel worried.

America puts a hand on top of Russia's own, which is held in a death grip on the clutch.

"Hey," America says softly, "what's wrong?"

"Nothing."

"Oh come on. I know you're nervous. What's going on in that head of yours?"

"What is Dixie going to do? What are the states and Canada going to do?"

"What do you mean?"

"When they see your face. Your eye," Russia chokes, moving his hands to clutch the wheel with white knuckles.

"..."

Russia sighs and tries to ignore his racing heart.

"You worry too much," Arizona says.

Russia glances into the rearview mirror with a nervous look before returning his gaze to the road.

"Hey, you got Bama, Sippi, and Tex on your side, you'll be fine," Kentucky says, but his tone makes Russia think he's trying to reassure himself more than Russia, "They won't let nothing happen to you and Dix 'll listen to them if they say you're good."

Russia takes a deep breath and stares ahead, getting ready to turn off the main road. He pulls off and drives down through the winding roads, surrounded by trees. He takes a deep breath and pulls to a stop.

America hopes out and walks inside to announce their arrival and the states hope out and begin unloading luggage. Russia gets out but feels jumpy.

"You BASTARD!" Dixie screams, and Russia sees him charge around the corner of the building.

"Dixie! Wait!" America yells, chasing after him.

Dixie knocks the breath out of Russia with a hook to the stomach. Russia hunches over out of reflex.

Before Russia can raise his arms to cover his face, Dixie reels back and decks him in the jaw. Russia's head jerks back and stars flicker in his vision. He stumbles back and clutches his head. Russia groans and forces his eyes open.

His vision is blurry, but when his eyes finally focus, he sees America wrestling Dixie back.

"DIXIE! STOP! PLEASE!"

"NO! LOOK AT WHAT HE DID TO YOU! HE BLINDED YOU! YOU TOLD ME HE CUT YOUR FACE, NOT DESTROYED YOU EYE!"

"I DIDN'T GIVE HIM A CHOICE!"

"That's gonna leave a mark," Massachusetts comments, his arms crossed.

"You're not going to attack me?" Russia mumbles.

"Tex already told us that it happened to protect Ari. I don't understand why Dixie is so god d*mn mad."

"He's mad because I did it."

"What?"

"I'm the one who slashed at his face," Russia mutters, covering his face in shame. Angry lime green magic feels the air and Massachusetts begins shouting.

"So you hurt him! You motherf*cker! Why the f*ck did you do that?!"

"I didn't mean to," Russia mumbles.