XLVIII - Passing Notes

When Russia wakes up again, he finds himself still in America's arms. He relaxes, trying his best to ignore the incessant ringing. He looks around a little more and realizes that he had been put on the couch, and America sits behind him, holding him up.

Russia feels America's steady breathing and realizes that he must be asleep. He looks down and finds the book at his feet. He swallows.

'I need to learn.'

Russia sits up, and America tries to tiredly pull him back. Russia grabs the book and lies back down, curling up his legs a little to prop the book against them. He continues to try to read through all the phrases and anything he might need when one of the signs catches his eye.

"Sorry-" the page reads. Next to it is a diagram of someone rubbing their fist in circles on their chest.

The sign looks familiar.

Russia looks up absentmindedly and notices several other people in the room, either playing games or talking. And maybe he was imagining it, but he could almost hear the buzz in the room.

Delaware spots him and signs a quick "(Hello)."

Russia smiles.

"(Hello,)" Russia signs back, trying his best to mimic the action.

"(Good!)" Delaware signs happily, walking closer, "(Do you need help?)"

Russia shakes his head, and reluctantly signs "(No,)" at Delaware's expectant look.

Delaware smiles.

"(Let me know if you want to practice,)" Delaware signs.

Then, Del turns back to his siblings, talking.

'What is he saying?' Russia wonders, but that train of thought becomes too painful to continue down.

The ringing had become less painful, which is good. His burns had also begun to scar over. He winces.

'Itchy.'

He tries his best not to irritate the skin further and instead puts his focus back onto the people mingling in the room.

'Wait, can Meri still hear?'

Russia's eyes go wide.

He raises a hand and waves it briefly, grabbing Dixie's attention.

'I was hoping for Delaware.'

Dixie walks over, his expression is mostly neutral.

"(What is it?)" Dixie asks, looking a little annoyed.

"(I know I can't hear,)" Russia starts, "(Can M-E-R-I hear?)"

Dixie's expression visibly softens. Then he signs something Russia doesn't recognize. At his bewildered expression, Dixie seems to scoff.

"(Yes. He can hear. I think_______________________,)" Dixie signs.

The last gestures hold no meaning to Russia, though Dixie doesn't seem keen on elaborating. Dixie gives him one last contemplative look before turning away and disappearing into the dining room.

Russia briefly wonders what he's thinking about, but shakes off the thought, deciding that it probably doesn't matter anyway. He returns his eyes to the book pages but finds he can't focus on it for long, his head whipping up at every sudden movement that appears in his field of view.

The states seem to notice too. Many of them seem to whip toward him when his head pops up. Russia sighs but a pang hits his chest when he can't hear it. Then he feels America stir. America pokes his shoulder. Russia turns to see him look back, exhausted.