XLIV - Salt Lines

Russia shrieks and falls to the floor. It feels slimy and about 2 kg in weight, and it touching his skin burns, but he refused to let it get into his mouth or nose. It smells like old sewer water. He thrashes on the floor, and chaos engulfs the room. Noise surrounds and sinks his hands into the mass, wrestling it off his nose.

Russia heaves it off his face and launches it at the window. He heaves and coughs. He looks around to see Dixie and Finland standing over the creature, trying to trap it under a large, transparent bin. He shakes his hands, trying to get rid of the dark black stains on his fingers.

Massachusetts runs in, with backward sweatpants and no shirt, holding a large container of salt to his chest. America is by his side in seconds.

"Holy shit! Are you okay?!" America rambles, pulling Russia's hands out and examining his face.

Russia catches movement from behind him and opens his mouth to shout. America spins around at his change in expression and smacks the blob away with the back of his hand. Then, America jumps to his feet and charges at Dixie, snatching the bin wordlessly and trapping the thing with a snarl.

The thing jumps up, trying to knock the bin off. America scowls and Russia slowly gets up to join him. Massachusetts beats him, shoving a bag of salt into America's hands. America waits for the thing to start to jump. He lifts the bin a little and slams it down, knocking the thing to the floor before quickly tossing it aside and covering it with salt.

The thing screams in an inhuman pitch and Russia ducks, covering his ears on instinct. Dixie bolts. Suddenly, it stops. Russia opens an eye and sees Louisiana standing nearby, and the thing surrounded by a sphere of purple magic.

America scowls and the thing rattles around in the sphere and the sphere begins cracking. Dixie runs in with an aluminum baseball bat.

"Break."

Louisiana releases the magic and the black blob hits the ceiling and bounces on the wall. Russia ducks as it soars over his head.

It flees around the room and Dixie nails it with the bat. It shrieks and hits the wall. It slides to the floor. Louisiana resummons her shield and traps it again. The thing continues to hit the edges of the sphere but doesn't have nearly enough energy to fight against it.

Russia breathes heavily, trying to calm his heartbeat. America stands near Russia huffing before running to the door. He wrenches the door open and shouts in a voice that shakes the floorboards.

"EVERYONE! MAIN ROOM! NOW!"

Footsteps pound down the stairs and America turns back to the rest of the room.

"Lu, can you contain that?"

"Yeah. I'll be fine. You take care of P-Russia," Louisiana replies, quickly walking out.

Russia doesn't even register the mistake and staggers to his feet. America helps him up and fusses over him.

"Did it get in your mouth? Nose? Are you okay? Come on, we have to get that stuff off of you," America says, leading Russia into the bathroom.

Russia follows him easily and helps wash off his hands. America insists on taking a wet washcloth to scrub it off his face. After they get most of it off and America checks his injuries, America scoops him off the ground. Russia squeaks and his face grows warm, but he doesn't argue. America races down the stairs and then stands in front of the couch until some of the kids move over. America drops Russia into the pillows before taking his place in the front of the room.

'Meri looks pale.'

Louisiana walks in with the sphere, the thing inside bouncing around it as if trying to break it. America looks at her with a questioning look. Louisiana nods and flashes a thumbs up. America sighs before turning to address the rest of the room. Egypt sits up a little, very confused.