Chapter 5

MIA

I have wasted a significantly interminable time to adorn myself today. Even though we have a dress code. I finally settled on a white tank top and black denim shorts along with black Converse sneakers and my Daniel Wellington watch that Oliver had gifted me. I know I took an obnoxiously long time to get ready and then decided to wear the least dressed up option. But I couldn't help storming my wardrobe to make an effort to look good on the first day of my junior year. I think it's because Oliver is giving me a ride to school this morning. We even have the same subjects. It turns out he aspires to be a space scientist just like me. It has been the solitary purpose of my existence.

All the competitions and courses I have ever taken from Year 7 were all intended to enhance my possibilities of receiving admission at Harvard and Stanford. My parents didn't order me to do it. I set my sights on it myself. I have not regretted it even for a moment.

"You took a minute extra, baby." Luke says, causing mom to giggle loudly and me to pout.

"I'm joking, baby. All the best for your day at school, and your breakfast is at the table and lunch is on the kitchen slab."

I eat my chicken sandwich and shove my lunch in my backpack. Suddenly I hear Oliver's car and say, "Bye, guys."

As I step outside the house, I spot Oliver donning a white tee and a pair of skinny black jeans - his unmatched favourite outfit - and I almost swoon. I am 100% sure that he is wearing his Vans.

I remember the first time seeing him in that outfit at the frat party, except the black one was replaced by a white one. I like the white one more than the black one because I can observe his tattoos then, whereas they are not evident in the black one.

When we get to the frat house, Savannah rings the bell, and Oliver opens the door. I am indefensibly dumbfounded. I can see all his tattoos distinctly. He has a bird on his left side, right below his rib cage. He has flawlessly sculpted abs. This person evidently hits the gym every single day as opposed to me, who eats Burger King every single day. If I do have to exercise, I go for a run with my music. Even though I run twice a week, I still can't get in shape.

Oliver, however, is absolutely in shape. I think he must have caught me gawking because he clears his throat, and I snap out of my trance. Savannah and James are having a makeout session, and I hadn't even noticed that James was also standing next to Oliver.

"Come on in, Mia!" James literally shouts over the loud EDM once he stops kissing Savannah.

"Hi, Mia. Didn't expect to see you here tonight." Oliver says.

"Honestly, I do not care as to what you expect and what you do not. So, it is not my problem to satisfy your requirements or expectations."

"Woah! That was SAVAGE AF girl!" Amy exclaims before he can respond.

I thank Amy, and she asks me to bust a move. She asks one of the boys to play Dynamite, and she starts dancing like crazy. I can feel all the boys shamelessly checking us out. I can see Oliver doing the exact same thing. Since none of them tries to make a move on me, I prefer to dismiss them.

A little while later, Oliver comes up to me and tries to make small talk. He asks about my hobbies, likes and dislikes, but my eyes cannot stop checking him out. I want to go home, but I can't find Savannah. I ask him to drop me home, but he is too drunk. Even I am too drunk to walk even a mile, let alone 10 miles. He also tells me that he's the same age as me and was just pulling my leg at Burger King. I even give him a nickname, and he gives me one too. He is a copycat. We decide that we both sleep in the same room. I will sleep on the couch and he on the bed.