Let it Be

The streets of Muswell Hill had never felt so full as she walked down the familiar Colney Hatch Lane, which branched onto Queens Avenue. Penelope hadn't walked down here in what felt like forever, truth be told she was on auto-pilot as she took in all of the familiar shops and houses. Penny had already been to a few places, managing to acquire enough food for her father and herself, making sure that she kept her own usual diet. She would miss the bakers in Cambridge though, their tiger bread was outstanding. Penny continued walking back towards Fortis Green whilst she was distant, her mind off in thought...

" Watch where you-" A voice began as he caught Penny in his arms, " Are you okay?"

" Shit- Sorry... I'm fine thanks." Penny rambled as she picked the shopping bag which had fell due to her walking into the man in front of her.

" Clumsy?" He joked, whilst he picked up the bag.

" Very!" She laughed whilst she winced at her ankle, before falling into him again.

" Have you hurt your ankle?" He asked concerned as he helped her.

" It's these bloody heels." She hissed, before he helped her to a wall.

" Ah not so bad for us men eh?" He laughed, whilst he sat next to her, " Are you local?"

" Yeah, down Fortis Green." She nodded, as she curled her ankle getting it back to normal.

" Ah, I've got a few mates who live down there; Very wild boys." He informed, " How long ya' lived here?"

" All my life- Well actually- In intervals, but you know what I mean." She blurted.

" Yeah I get what you mean, family here an' all that but you want your own life?" He suggested,

" Something like that." Penny nodded, " What about you?"

" I'm from South London actually, I've only been here for about five years." He replied.

" Look I better be off, thank you for your help." Penny smiled, before she stood,

" What did you say you're name was again love?" The man asked.

" Penelope, Penelope Rosanna Murphy."

" Nice to meet you Penelope, I'm Mick, Mick Avory."

.

.

.

" Yeah, if that's okay. Can you make it for twelve? I need to make it back to Manchester.

I thought it was best to ask you, it was hard enough to get her here let alone stay.

Alright, I'll see you in a few. "

.

.

.

The mid-day sunlight hit Penelope as she moved around the study arranging her books and papers, she'd made sure to place a phone in there so she could ring the correct clients and so forth. Her father was quite independent so she was pretty sure she'd just be able to work without distraction.

The familiar sound of tires hitting gravel on the drive made Penny stop her sorting and walk to the front door, her heels clicking on the wooden flooring before she heard a key turn in the door and her fathers muffled voice.

" Sweetheart!" Albert greeted as he opened the door seeing his daughter waiting by the staircase,

" Hi Dad." Penny smiled, going to hug her dad.

" I'm so glad you came darling!" He beamed, taking a good look at his daughter,

" I'm glad I did too. Where's Theo?" She asked, noticing the absence of her older brother.

" Didn't he tell you? He had to go back up to Manchester." He informed as he took his coat off,

" So who brought you home?" Penny questioned, looking at her father.

" Well, well... It's been a while eh Pens?" Asked a new voice who carried her fathers case,

" Bloody hell... Davies!" Penelope laughed, making her way over to the now 25 year old man.

" You're finally back!" Ray chuckled.

" Well-" Penny began,

" Only to make sure I don't drop dead." Albert muttered as he walked into the kitchen.

" You're not staying?" Ray inquired.

" Just till Dad's back on his feet. A few weeks or so." She nodded,

" I'll make the most of you being here then." He spoke.

" I'm sure you're very busy." She drawled,

" I've always got time for you." He responded.

" I've got work Davies." She replied.

" You have evenings." Ray contributed,

" And you probably have a lovely girlfriends who requires your time more than me." Penny continued.

" Don't forget the children." He added,

" Children!" She cried.

" Yep." He laughed, " What about you?"

" If you can count a twenty-two year old mess named Dannie as a child then yes." Penny snorted,

" Dannie?" He inquired.

" My roommate." She replied.

" Ah, well I better be off to the studio. I'll see you soon Pens." He spoke,

" I'm not sure that's a very good idea..." She whispered, looking him in the eye.

" He doesn't have to know." He reassured.

" He's your brother..." The brunette sighed, leaning against the banister,

" And you're one of my best friends." Ray contradicted.

" I'm not going to get a say in this am I?" She asked rhetorically,

" No." He laughed as she shook his head, " Don't disappear yeah?"

" Yeah"