Call Me 9 a Year

A/N: Thought I'd include a non- The Kinks picture this week. Enjoy this one I took for my art coursework!

New year was approaching for Penny as she thought about her last, she'd attended the yearly Alexandra's party; which was absolutely crazy as per usual. The Arches had performed there since they were thirteen, when they had first started they were small, intermediate musicians but the last year they'd been the life and soul of it. Penny laughed at the memory, the sound of her guitar though an old, crappy amp. Her, Margie and Gail's voices booming through the old stadium mics, the first time she'd ever really got properly drunk and performing some of the songs she'd written, 9 a Year (Dedicated to), Pleasing and Strange Solitude.

Darling the waiting is killing me, 

The old song entered her head as she walked down the staircase, remembering the raspiness she used to achieve. 

Stop playing about with your keys, 

The only melody I've heard from you is Dum Da dee,

The lyrics taunted her head as she made her way over to the piano in the living room, remembering the chords before playing the build into the Chorus.

" Darling I know it might be daunting, 

Can't you just- Maybe Just,

Please, I know you don't wanna, 

Call me 9 a Year" 

The progression slid back into the verse,

" Letter's ain't enough to manage trust, 

Mother's best little boy couldn't even contain his disgust,"

" Darling I know it might be daunting,

Can't you just- Maybe Just,

Please, I know you don't wanna,

Call me 9 a Year" 

Clapping soon emerged from behind her, 

" I didn't know you were that good!" Ray spoke as he came over to the piano,

" I wrote it back in school." She informed. 

" I like it." He nodded as he sat beside her. 

" I've had some progression in my mind for a while now really, it's only two chords, can't really build it yet." He informed,

" Play it." She encouraged,

" It's nothing really-" 

" Go on," She gestured,

He began to play a transition between an G to an F, Penny's mind began to tick before playing a melody line. After a while of getting into it he moved it up to an A and C, Penny adjusting to the change before jumping to a C and D and back to the G and F. 

" I think you might be on the something there." Penny huffed, 

" It's a bit simple don't you think?" Ray asked,

" It's got potential." Penny complimented. 

" Yeah I guess it has." He nodded, "So have you got anymore up your sleeve?" 

" Not that I can perform solo." Penny informed, " But I do have the footage." 

" Can we watch it?" He asked, 

" When we have a movie night or something." Penny told him as she stood, " So what you doing here?"

" Do I need an excuse to see my Pens?" He joked, before she raised her eyebrows; " We've managed to book some studio time, The Ravens."