A miracle ? Chapter 17

Rose's POV

Spinning on the spot, I was shocked to find Keir pushing himself up into a sitting position. Without thinking I shifted into a defensive stance, holding the dagger steadily in my right fist. Only my uncertainty kept me rooted to the spot, watching Keir's every move.

He ignored me completely and seemed to be experiencing some sort of great pain. He slipped a hand under his shirt and touched his chest, directly above his heart. Watching his motionless body, I dared to take a step closer but froze when he let out a terrible scream.

It was dreadful. I had never hear a sound so full of fear, heartbreak and pain. The hairs were standing up on the back of my neck and I could feel my own shrill of terror building. Swallowing my cry back down my throat, I forced myself to approach closer to him again, still gripping the digger tightly in my hand.

All my senses were slammed when I was just a arms reach away from him.  When I was feeding from him, he had this ravishing aroma that fanned my desire for blood but now, he smelt like grass after a thunderstorm — clean and elemental. Good and pure.

His body, once hard and cold was radiating a wave of warmth and his skin had a flush of pink across his pale skin. However, the most striking effect was the little thuds of his  beating heart I could hear between his sobs and screams.

I don't know how and I don't know why but Keir was a Strigoi no more.

Slowly dropping to my knees besides him, I tentatively reached out to rest my hand on his shoulder. He seemed so vulnerable.

I grasped Keir’s shoulders and rolled him back. Streaks of blood had dried on the his chin and neck. His clothes were torn and covered in dust from our struggle. His now striking blue eyes stared straight into mine.I couldn't tear my gaze from him.

"Rose." He whispered, his husky voice was missing the cruel tone it once had. Different emotions crossed  his face. Guilt, shock, and fear were followed by a sad crooked smile."You've freed me."

"Freed you?"

"Yes." I managed to mutter before succumbing into his screams again.

It started off as kind of a low wail and rapidly grew in volume. The noise snapped me to attention, but I didn't exactly know how to respond. Gripping his shoulder again he floundered at my touch, while he had more force than a Dhampir his efforts no longer packed the supernatural strength of an undead monster. These were the motions of someone desperately, terribly afraid.

I watched him for a few moments, awkwardly patting his shoulder when a odd image of newborn babies flashed through my mind. Was crying the natural reaction for anyone being born--or, in this case, reborn--into the world?

My knees started to ache so I sat crossed legged on the floor and without thinking about it I pulled him to me, letting him bury his face against my chest and sob.

As I sat there, holding him and stroking his hair as he wept, I tried to make sense of what was happening. My brain didn't entirely know how to reconcile it with my well-defined understanding of reality and fiction. While Keir and I aren't Dhampir again, we were no longer Strigoi and that was nothing more than a miracle.

A miracle that has left us in a deadly position. While being Keir's prisoner wasn't ideal, at least I had his protection from other Strigoi, meeting Vita was evidence of that. Now, he was un undead and crying at my bosom. We need to get out of here asap.

I stood up, half lifting half pulling Keir to his feet. He was still crying, but his sobs were quieter now. Leading him to the bed I, guided him to sit down on the edge. He sat as instructed and remain motionless, just staring at his palms.