The Escape. Chapter 18

Keir had been pacing the room for the last ten minutes, trying to think of an escape route, while I cradled Kirsty in my arms. When Kirsty had awoken no longer a Strigoi, she had bursted into tears. Just as Keir had. However, unlike Keir, who's sobs were full of pain and regret, her sobs were joyful and full of relief. I suppose she had only been a Strigoi for a few hours, Keir was one for hundreds and hundreds of years. He has seen and done many terrible things.

"There has got to be a way out." He hissed, slapping his head in desperate frustration.

"What about the tunnel that leads to the mall? The one I came through?" I asked.

"It wouldn't work. We will have to go past the feeding hall to get to that tunnel. The Strigoi will know we aren't one or them the second they see us, smell us or hear our heartbeats. We must get out unseen." He illustrated. "Or we won't be getting out."

Kirsty, who had calmed down somewhat, let out a terrified gasp but thankfully didn't continue crying.

"What are our escape options?" I asked Keir. I have barely seen the place outside of this room. Keir's knowledge is our best chance of escape.

Keir rubbed his face with both hands and dropped into the armchair.

"There are three ways to exit the Base. The first being via the Mall, which means passing the feeding hall. The  hall is never empty. There could be 1 Strigoi or 50.

The second is through Isaiah's personal wing. It's his personal entrance point. I have seen the door but have no idea where it leads to. I am also weary about trying to escape that way. The one Strigoi we don't want to meet is Isaiah. He is insanely old, Ancient even, and very very strong. If he finds us, we are dead.

Thirdly there is a tunnel that leads to some caves in the woods. Strategically speaking, it's our best option. However, it's the longest one in distance. The longer we are in the tunnels the higher the chance of discovery. Also, it the main entrance point the Strigoi use."

"That's it? That's all our options?" I asked my heart sinking. "We have more of a chance if I suddenly sprout wings and fly us out of here!"

"Do you have a better idea?" Kirsty whimpered, looking at me with eyes full of fear.

"No." I answer. Might as well be honest. "How many Strigoi are out there?"

Keir shot me a look of apprehension than said, "about 70. Give or take a few. Then there is the human guards."

"Humans?"

"Isaiah likes to collect humans. He finds them useful in breaking wards around Moroi households." Keir admitted shamefully.

70 plus Humans! No chance of fighting our way our then.

"We are doomed aren't we." Kirsty sniffed, wrapping herself in her arms for comfort. A part of me can't help but agree with her.

"We are going to to our very best to  get out of here." I said with more confidence than I felt. "But there might be a fight. I know you have some training. Did you attend an academy?"

"I did, until I turned 14." Kirsty replied stiffly. "I wasn't the best fighter but I held my own against Moroi predictors. I was expelled."

A shiver traveled down my spine. It wasn't hard to put two and two together. Almost every Dhampir girl faces it at some point in school. I remember mine, I was 13. Peter Kellerman, non Royal Moroi. He tried to corner me outside the Moroi girls dormitory when I going to visit Lissa. I, like all the other Dhampir girls, had three choices.

Let him touch my body, try to escape or stop them. I took option three and Peter Kellerman ended up with a broken nose. He would of had more but André Dragomir walked in and found us. He threaten to have Peter's father sacked if he didn't keep his mouth shut on who punched him. I didn't appreciate how lucky I was that André found me until a few months later. When another Dhampir girl chose option three. She was expelled and escorted off of campus. I was willing to bet the same thing happened to Kristy.