Blending in. Chapter 21

Christian had disappeared back to Academy wards, in the hope of spotting Lissa again while I ran to a little farming town.

I hate stealing but I didn't have much choice. So I tried to take little from multiple houses, with the empty promise that I repay everything when I can. I had discovered however, that farmers stock alot of liquor in their farmhouse, so I doubt they will notice a bottle missing from their haul.

Across three farm houses I have managed to 'collect' two bottles of brandy, a apple pie and beef stew, a back pack to carry it all in and some blood from a farm hand. In my fourth and final house, I was looking for new clothes as Keir and I have been wearing the same clothes for a month now. The house was empty and I had found a shirt and pants to fit Keir, admittedly they were on the large side. The women's clothes were three sizes to big for me so I was now exploring the other rooms.

One from was full to the brim of pink and Disney Princesses. Guessing this room belonged to a child, I moved past it. The next room was the complete opposite.

Black carpet, black walls with posters of a band called Soil was plastered acrossed them. Skull fairy lights littered the head of the bed and doc Martin lined the floor at the base. The whole room gave a goth vibe.

Without much expectation, I moved to the closet. In side was full of corsets and black lace dresses. I almost gave up until I spotted a black halter neck jumpsuit with white polka dots. Teamed with my current leather jacket it would be nice.

Swapping my worn black jeans and top for the jumpsuit, I checked myself out in the floor length mirror. It wasn't my usual style but I looked ok. The length of the jumpsuit hid my joggers. Sliding my jacket back in place I noticed something on the vanity table.

Amongst the make up and concert tickets was a coloured eye lenses box. Sitting on the bench, I picked up the box and looked over the colours. Red, green, white, cat eyes, gold, snake and black. Looking at my own reflection, I saw my own blood red eyes stare back at me. I wonder?

Picking up the black lenses, I washed them with the available solution and slipped one onto my left eye. Blinking at the irrigation, I resisted the urge to rub my eye. With a final blink I looked up. One eye was shining red but the other was dark, kinda of a ebony colour. Smiling, I slipped the other lense in. I looked, kinda normal. My eyes are not the colour they used to be, but if I am going to contact Lissa, these lenses make me seem less Strigoi. Grabbing the solution, I popped it into my pocket and grabbed my backpack full of supplies.

I jogged away from the village for a few miles before slowing into a comfortable walk. I am only a hour away from the house Keir and I are starting in but I wasn't in a hurry.

I was walking through the little farming town called Barronville, when I caught a familiar scent. Strigoi blood. The sun was still setting but the town was full of abandoned outhouses Strigoi could stay in during daylight hours. Following the scent, I keep to the shadows. I stalked up behind a large shed.

"NOW!" A voice shouted, followed by a battle cry.

Crouching low, I peeked around the edge. Two Dhampirs, a man and a women, were forcing a Strigoi into the last of the sunlight. The man Dhampir slammed his stake into the Strigoi's chest for good measure.

"Great. You've got blood on your shirt." The woman scolded. " I will deal with this. Go get changed, we are going to be late for the wedding reception."

The man grumbled something and started to pull his shirt off as he walked into the small house. I watched the woman drag the Strigoi back into the shed and lock the door. Apart from when Christian and I spy on the Academy, I haven't seen a Dhampir since I was turned. I felt a wave of disappointed and longing flow over me. Watching her, the urge to go and talk to her was overwhelming.