Caged. Chapter 14

Rose's POV

When I was a Dhampir I would of never believed that a Strigoi could suffer from headaches, but here I am with a pounding head.

For the past couple of days I have been locked in this room without a single visit from Keir or any other Strigoi. So I spent my time examining every inch of the room, listening to movement outside the door or trying to access the bond to Lissa. The latter being the main cause of my headache.

It was so frustrating, I used to be able to slip into her mind with ease but now all I can do is sense fleeting emotions. No matter how much I tired, the harder I pushed the stronger her barriers pushed back.  But if I was being honest with myself, I know that trying to resurrect the bond isn't the only source of my headache. I needed to feed. Badly.

Yesterday I opened and drained the last bottle of blood from the refrigerator. It has been cold humans blood and had been as satisfying as eating grass would of been. 

Nevertheless, it did manage to take the edge of my cravings for a hour or so. But now I had run out, I was struggling to keep my mind on anything but feeding for a couple of minutes at a time.

I was sat in the armchair a few hours ago just staring at the blood stored within my veins in my wrist. Overcome with the urge to feed, my eyes closed as my lips brushed over the skin on my wrist. My breath became heavy as my tongue started to trace patterns over my pulse point. Truly intoxicated, venom swirled around my fangs as I went to gently bite down. But the second the tip of my fang pressed against skin, I awoke.

Disgusted with myself, I forced my body to pace the room in an attempt to clear my head. Worried, I was about to wear a hole into the carpet, I flopped onto the bed where I forced myself to focus on the bond.

This time round I tried to connect to the visual aspect of the bond instead of the emotional side.

I was on my fifth try when my Strigoi hearing warned me of approaching doorstep on the other side of the door.  Spinning around, I scooped up a shard of glass and charged the door. It opened, and I slammed into the intruder.

It was Keir.

Unlike our last meeting, the need to survive had turned into a feral determination mingled with terror. I would rather he killed me now than be forced to feed from myself.

However, from the lack of feeding my body had become weak. Hitting him was like hitting the solid metal door. He shoved me back, and I staggered, still holding onto shard of glass. I kept my balance and charged once more. This time, when we collided, he grabbed a of my wrist holding the pathetic weapon, which he ripped from my hands. He then tossed it into the hallway behind him, like nothing had happened.

Stepping further into the room, he made way for another Strigoi to follow him in, before the door slammed shut behind them.

Standing 5' 9" tall, this slim male was once a human and from his complexion I could tell he had been human merely hours ago.

Pulling my eyes away from his fresh Strigoi face, I examined the long sword he was holding in his hands.

"AHH!" Keir said finally breaking the silence. "I see you have noticed my little trophy."

He smiled evilly at the stranger and pulled the sword from his grasp. I had seen a sword that before. I am certain it was the sword the Head of the King's or Queen's Guard was presented with.  Fairly large, slim, straight blade made of diamond and held by a grip wrapped in blue sapphires. With a point as sharp as a razor this weapon will cause your enemies to leak from thousands of holes before they even know what happened.