xxxii. the divine move

[ start of the divine move part two ]

THE school looked eery and sinister in the shadows of the half-moon. The group had relied, although weak, on Eleanor's empathy abilities to locate where Derek was with the triskele box in an attempt to finally put an end to the nightmare they had been living for months. The eldest Hale sibling had failed to answer several phone calls from both Jaden, Eleanor and Scott which was unlike him in a time of need. Their only option was to try and track him down.

Scott drove Roscoe on behalf of Stiles as his body was wilting in synch with Eleanor, carrying himself, Kira and Stiles. Jaden pulled up into the school's parking lot next to the jeep with Eleanor and Lydia; the twin had insisted on taking his sister for the drive as he was desperate to speak to her after the events that had unfolded hours previous.

The start of the journey was silent but as soon as Jaden started speaking, he didn't stop. He was eager to convince his twin that what happened to Allison was not her fault because although it was a tragedy, there was nothing that anybody could have done to change it and he knew that Allison never blamed Eleanor, which was obvious from her last words before she passed; she was trying to let everybody know that it wasn't Eleanor that had killed her.

Reiterating this information to his stubborn and guilt-ridden sister was difficult but with Lydia's help the brunette seemed to blame herself slightly less for the incident, although it would take a lifetime before Eleanor completely accepted what had happened and stopped holding herself responsible for the loss of her best friend. The only thing that pushed her to keep going was Allison's last words to her, before they had arrived at Oak Creek, repeating in her head. I know you and I know what you wouldn't do to hurt us - you're still the same person.

She could only hope that was true.

Clambering out of the car and into the icy night air was like a hit of realisation for the group, that maybe life could return to some version of normality before the sun rose in the morning. It was a glimmer of hope in a beacon of darkness and it gave them an even bigger motivation now that they were without a huntress by their side.

Stiles and Eleanor had evidently grown a lot weaker between the conversation with Deaton at the pet clinic; their skin was paler, they stumbled to stand properly and they needed an aid to even make it to the front doors of the school. Jaden held Eleanor upright whilst Kira helped Stiles.

"Scott, wait." Eleanor called out to their Alpha, halting in front of the double-doored entrance to the school hallway. The pack craned their necks to look at the brunette as her breath turned to a cold mist in the night air.

"I know what's playing on everyone's minds right now - if this works, it might kill Stiles and I. The plan has always been to save Stiles and that's a plan that we need to keep - so when the time comes to try and get that bastard and kill him, I need you to do it to the Void version of me instead of Void Stiles okay?" Jaden opened his mouth to protest but Eleanor continued, her eyes softening and her voice trembling. "Look, no matter how much you can try to not blame me for what happened to Allison we all know that you're all having a hard time even looking at me right now. We've already lost someone and I will not be responsible for losing Stiles, okay?"