xxiii. riddled

[ start of riddled ]

  IF ELEANOR COULD go back and start all over again at this very moment in time, she would have willed herself to steer clear of Stiles and never meet him. Not because she was angry at him, or she didn't like him or he wasn't a good friend; it was because she wished she hadn't pulled him into the mess of her life.

  More than anything, she had never wanted Stiles or Scott to get hurt or get mixed up in any of her own supernatural business. If only it could have been that simple and nothing could have happened to them.

  As she stood in front of the brightly lit house contrasted to the pitch black neighbourhood it stood in, her heart in her stomach whilst her eyes gazed wildly ahead, she couldn't think of anything she'd have wished for more. She couldn't stand the thought of being the reason Stiles was hurt.

  Not wanting to waste any more of the precious time she had wasted, stood there in complete silence in front of the house, she took a deep breath and hurried up the porch steps two stairs at a time.

  Letting herself in at an inhumane fast pace, Eleanor rattled the door shut behind her and took straight for the stairs and then down the small hallway and then into Stiles' crowded room. The brunette was out of breath from running the route to the house, her cheeks were flushed red from the cold temperature and her eyes were wide in sufficient surprise to see almost all of her friends gathered in Stiles' room.

  Upon her abrupt entrance, all eyes cast to the bedroom door where Eleanor stood, their eyebrows raised and their eyes dull with worry. At any other moment, Eleanor would have made a point to argue that they hadn't even bothered to tell her what was going on and that they were leaving her out completely, however her mind was in a far more worrisome state and she had no time for such things.

  "Eleanor-"

  "Where is he?" Eleanor's voice cracked slightly as she spoke and she could already tell from the fallen expressions the answer to her question.

  "We don't know. He woke Jaden up with a call saying he-"

  "-he didn't know where he was or why he was there, I know. I got this feeling and it woke me up and I just knew that something had happened to him. How long have you been here?"

  Scott's eyes shifted from Eleanor and then to the group; Lydia, Isaac, Jaden and Aiden. "Only a couple of minutes."

  Eleanor nodded absentmindedly and brushed past the group to look at the construction Stiles had created before he had left. A pair of metal scissors were impaled in the centre of the mattress and a series of different red strings were attached from the scissors to the wall.

  "He uses red for unsolved cases."

  "Maybe he thinks he's part of an unsolved case?" Jaden offered, a frown lingering on his chapped lips.