xx. galvanize

[ start of galvanise ]

SLOWLY AND CAREFULLY, the two teenagers treaded lightly into the locker room, navigating through the darkness as Stiles dialled an all too familiar number and pressed the phone to his ear, awaiting the call to be picked up.

"Get your ass down here now! We have a job to do." Stiles spoke sharply into the phone, looking down at the bag of tools he held.

Scott sighed from the other end. "Dude, I'm already in bed. And aren't we getting a little old for this?"

"We do this for Coach."

"I thought we did this to Coach."

Stiles rolled his eyes irritably. "Whatever, okay? You know he needs this. He lives for this stuff. He loves it."

"But it's the middle of the night." The Hispanic complained.

"Which means it's after midnight and officially Mischief Night/Day, and, by perfectly awesome coincidence, it's also happens to be Coach's birthday. So if you are not down here in five seconds, I will destroy you. Okay? And I mean five, four, three, two-"

And Eleanor keeled over laughing as Scott appeared behind Stiles with a mischievous glint in his eye and a lopsided grin. "One."

Stiles flailed his arms and tripped over thin air, falling to the ground rapidly, holding his chest as if he had been struck a heart attack. Eleanor couldn't contain her giggles as he flipped her off and pulled himself back to his feet.

Stiles scowled playfully at the boy. "I hate you."

  Scott shook his head and laughed at his friend, looking to his surroundings as he realised that somebody was missing. "Hey, where's Jaden? I thought we all had to be here?"

  "He's at Lydia's." Eleanor voiced and the two boys drew their eyebrows and crinkled their noses in disgust at the very thought of what the two could be doing. "Yeah, I know. I didn't even bother asking."

And they went about setting up the trick Stiles had conjured for Coach.

....

THE next morning, Eleanor and Stiles arrived in the school parking lot just in time to watch as Scott jumped off of his bike and began talking to Ethan and Aiden. Confused as to why the twins had even turned up at school, the best friends were quick to join the conversation.

"You're back in school?"

Ethan shook his head. "No, just to talk."

"Oh. That's kind of a change of pace for you guys. Usually, you're just hurting, maiming, and killing."

Aiden scoffed and rolled his eyes, ignoring Stiles' comment and turning back to look at Scott. "You need a pack. We need an Alpha."

"Yeah. Absolutely not. That's hilarious though."